Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Removing plug-in dependencies(Noob)
Removing plug-in dependencies [message #1200964] Thu, 21 November 2013 14:02 Go to next message
Gary Worsham is currently offline Gary WorshamFriend
I started off creating a New Xtext project. This has been working fine, barring my ignorance of Xtext, but that I am working through slowly. After I create my Xtext artifacts I can select the project package and when I run it, I get a second instance of Eclipse (Kepler) with my Xtext DSL features enabled.

At one point I did something to create some plugins instead, which seemed to work, but it's slower for development than the "running a second instance of Eclipse" strategy. So I want to remove whatever plug-in dependencies I may have created in my project but I don't know how to do that.

Eclipse is now fairly unstable, quite frequently going to "Not Responding" for a minute or two when I try to do things in the editor.

What should I do to remove any plug-in development dependencies in this project?

Thanks,

GW
Re: Removing plug-in dependencies [message #1201121 is a reply to message #1200964] Thu, 21 November 2013 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
Your post is rather confusing. Xtext projects are plugins, so if you have been working with Xtext you have been working with plugins all along. Plugin development involves running a second instance of Eclipse so you need to explain what you mean when you say that creating plugins is slower then running a second instance of Eclipse.

The only thing that I can think of is that you installed the Xtext plugins into your development Eclipse. In that case, your development Eclipse is including the Xtext plugins that you developed. This could certainly get in the way of things. If this is the case, then you need to uninstall the Xtext plugins that you created.

Plugin dependencies are maintained in the plugin.xml file of your plugin project. However, that isn't likely the problem since that shouldn't interfere with the development of the plugins themselves.
Re: Removing plug-in dependencies [message #1201224 is a reply to message #1201121] Thu, 21 November 2013 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey David,

Thanks for the answer. So if I understand correctly (which is often not the case) I can generate an actual plug-in at any time by exporting to a plug-in? And then to use that plug-in in some other Eclipse environment, I'd import the plug-in. What I've also done is to switch the workspace of my first Eclipse instance over to the one which uses the generated code from the 2nd instance - which I subsequently closed. I do this to work on the non-generated parts of the Java code. I can't generate any new DSL based code in that environment, which would indicate that the plug-ins aren't active. It also implies that you could use plug-ins for your first Eclipse instance which were at some stable revision (more or less) and then continue to launch the second instance from the DSL workspace for incremental development.

But in that case you would want to make sure the JAR plug-ins didn't wind up in the second instance. What controls this when the 2nd Eclipse gets launched?
Re: Removing plug-in dependencies [message #1201736 is a reply to message #1201224] Thu, 21 November 2013 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
I'm not sure you are understanding the concept. Plugins can exist in different states, but they are plugins none the less. A plugin is a coherent group of resources that can exist as a project while under development and that can be exported in a couple of different formats (jar or directory). When launching an Eclipse application plugins that are projects in your development workspace become active in the launched runtime. Any workspaces/projects you create in the launched runtime can become dependent on the plugins. If you access the runtime workapce from an Eclipse instance that doesn't have your plugins installed, you can run into problems because the workspace may have saved references to features that only exist in the development plugins. The runtime workspace should really only be used by launching an Eclipse instance from your development workspace. Once your plugins become stable, your can export them and install them into another Eclipse instance. From there, you can create a new workspace to use your plugins.

Development workspaces should only be used with the Eclipse instance that you use for your development. Runtime workspaces should only be used by launched Eclipse instances. End user workspaces should only be used by Eclipse instances with your stable plugins installed.

Re: Removing plug-in dependencies [message #1209732 is a reply to message #1201736] Mon, 25 November 2013 17:22 Go to previous message
David Wegener wrote on Thu, 21 November 2013 17:20

Development workspaces should only be used with the Eclipse instance that you use for your development. Runtime workspaces should only be used by launched Eclipse instances. End user workspaces should only be used by Eclipse instances with your stable plugins installed.

I appreciate the clear statement David. So I guess I clearly screwed up, because although I can open both the plug-in development and application development workspaces from the first Eclipse instance, the runtime Eclipse version opens up now and complains that the VM hasn't been set.

I also consistently get the "missing ActionSet" error (see other post in this forum). From my research an "ActionSet" is something like a plug-in pop up menu definition.

The first Eclipse instance often gets stuck with a message at lower right "Initializing Java Tooling" and sometimes it gets stuck at 32% and more recently 41%.

I already completely replaced the Eclipse files, although to be honest I used an "RC" rather than stable version as I was hoping for relief from this missing ActionSet issue.

Either I have botched up my project files such that replacing Eclipse doesn't help, or for some reason my code is actually causing a weird bug in Eclipse to be exposed. While I doubt the latter, it's certainly a non zero possibility.

Any suggestions for how to recover?

Thanks,

GW

[Updated on: Mon, 25 November 2013 17:28]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:One "package" of sources, multiple configurations
Next Topic:cannot find locationURI from right clicking a tab header
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 13:35:53 GMT 2024