Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » [Texo] Release/Milestone update site ?
[Texo] Release/Milestone update site ? [message #1198468] Wed, 20 November 2013 10:40 Go to next message
Romain Bioteau is currently offline Romain BioteauFriend
Hello there,
I'm wondering if there is a plan to publish milestone or release of the Texo project on an update site ?

The problem is that I'm consuming the Texo IUs from the interim update site in my Target Platform and the IUs on this update site are SNAPSHOTS.

This is a real pain in the a** to release a product with SNAPSHOT dependencies.

Anyone has an idea about this ?

Thanks !

R&D Engineer at BonitaSoft
Re: [Texo] Release/Milestone update site ? [message #1198613 is a reply to message #1198468] Wed, 20 November 2013 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Taal is currently offline Martin TaalFriend
Hi Romain,
First what is a IU? I guess you mean the version number.

If so, then the current version number does not reflect reality, Texo has been out there for a while and is getting used
more and more as a backend for web-ui's as well as rcp's.
So it makes sense to up the version number. Within the Eclipse foundation, getting to a 1.0.0 release takes some
administration (release review). So it will take a while (not sure when/how long, I guess a month or so).

Let me know if you mean release numbers or something else.

gr. Martin

On 11/20/2013 11:40 AM, Romain Bioteau wrote:
> Hello there,
> I'm wondering if there is a plan to publish milestone or release of the Texo project on an update site ?
>
> The problem is that I'm consuming the Texo IUs from the interim update site in my Target Platform and the IUs on this
> update site are SNAPSHOTS.
>
> This is a real pain in the a** to release a product with SNAPSHOT dependencies.
>
> Anyone has an idea about this ?
>
> Thanks !

--

With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite/Elver.org
Office: Hardwareweg 4, 3821 BV Amersfoort
Postal: Nassaulaan 7, 3941 EC Doorn
The Netherlands
Cell: +31 (0)6 288 48 943
Tel: +31 (0)84 420 2397
Fax: +31 (0)84 225 9307
Mail: mtaal@xxxxxxxx - mtaal@xxxxxxxx
Web: www.springsite.com - www.elver.org
Re: [Texo] Release/Milestone update site ? [message #1198647 is a reply to message #1198613] Wed, 20 November 2013 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Martin,
IU means Installation Unit.
And my issue is that for a given date d1 I have a version v1 on the update site that is overwritten by a version v2 at date d2 (with API/Behavior changes...etc). So it is not compliant with a deterministic building process.

Do you get what I mean ?

Thanks for the quick answer.

Re: [Texo] Release/Milestone update site ? [message #1198749 is a reply to message #1198647] Wed, 20 November 2013 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Romain,
All the (previous) builds are always archived to an archive site. I can give you the urls of older sites or the latest
archived site. But I guess a stable update site makes more sense.

I created one as an example:
http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/emft/texo/updates/milestones/0.1.0M1/

It has the latest build. I will regurarly publish new builds but using new milestone names (M2 etc.) so that old builds
remain in tact. This is what you mean?

gr. Martin

On 11/20/2013 01:38 PM, Romain Bioteau wrote:
> Hello Martin,
> IU means Installation Unit.
> And my issue is that for a given date d1 I have a version v1 on the update site that is overwritten by a version v2 at
> date d2 (with API/Behavior changes...etc). So it is not compliant with a deterministic building process.
>
> Do you get what I mean ?
>
> Thanks for the quick answer.

--

Springsite/Elver.org
The Netherlands
Re: [Texo] Release/Milestone update site ? [message #1198783 is a reply to message #1198749] Wed, 20 November 2013 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes ! that's exactly what I meant.
Thanks a lot Martin.

Re: [Texo] Release/Milestone update site ? [message #1198806 is a reply to message #1198783] Wed, 20 November 2013 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay great, now also part of the wiki:
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Texo/Download_and_Install#Development_Environment_and_Update_Sites

gr. Martin

On 11/20/2013 03:05 PM, Romain Bioteau wrote:
> Yes ! that's exactly what I meant. Thanks a lot Martin.

--

Springsite/Elver.org
The Netherlands
Re: [Texo] Release/Milestone update site ? [message #1219989 is a reply to message #1198806] Sun, 08 December 2013 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cristian Prevedello is currently offline Cristian PrevedelloFriend
Greetings, i'm sneaking in this discussion for a related question. We use teneo and not texo, but the idea still apply.

We use maven for dependencies managment, so we get reproducible buils because maven repository keeps all past versions of a given package.

From what i get, at the address http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/emf/teneo/updates/2.0.0/interim/ i can find latest succesfull build.

i know teneo is under CI, so a successful build means all tests passed, but that means that release is production ready?

What's your advice on this topic Martin?, and what's the policy to deploy on maven repository packages?

Thank you in advance, and as usual, congrats for your superb work.

best regards.

Re: [Texo] Release/Milestone update site ? [message #1219990 is a reply to message #1219989] Sun, 08 December 2013 14:08 Go to previous message
Hi Cristian,
Teneo is very stable and the current changes are all bugfixes or small features. Anything breaking backward
compatibility is always supported with an option which most/all of the time (as a default) maintains backward compatibility.

Teneo is being used already for many years (almost 8 year old project now). So imho any build present in the update site
should be production ready.

I once in a while push a Teneo build to maven. There is no specific reason for me to not do this every build, other than
that you get many builds at maven while their difference is very small. And it is a small manual action on my side to
get things to maven (takes me 10 mins, so nothing dramatic).

For Texo things are only slightly different. Texo is newer, I allow more freedom myself to change things for Texo. But
reality is that api-breaking changes do not happen (once a year or so) a lot for Texo. My plan (which has been there for
a few years now), is for Texo to grow on the user interface side. The current implementation is for the server side. So
new things will happen in new code for Texo.

gr. Martin

On 12/08/2013 02:01 PM, Cristian Prevedello wrote:
> Greetings, i'm sneaking in this discussion for a related question. We use teneo and not texo, but the idea still apply.
>
> We use maven for dependencies managment, so we get reproducible buils because maven repository keeps all past versions
> of a given package.
>
> From what i get, at the address http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/emf/teneo/updates/2.0.0/interim/ i can find latest
> succesfull build.
>
> i know teneo is under CI, so a successful build means all tests passed, but that means that release is production ready?
>
> What's your advice on this topic Martin?, and what's the policy to deploy on maven repository packages?
>
> Thank you in advance, and as usual, congrats for your superb work.
>
> best regards.
>
>

--

Springsite/Elver.org
The Netherlands
Previous Topic:[Texo] Multiple "genmodel"
Next Topic:[Eclipse Client Platform] EReference of Type "EObject" throws null pointer exception
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 04:35:34 GMT 2024