Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Yet another parsing rule question (cross reference)(Noob)
Yet another parsing rule question (cross reference) [message #1194497] Mon, 18 November 2013 14:45 Go to next message
Gary Worsham is currently offline Gary WorshamFriend
Bottom line on this one: I need to be able to parse a literal OR a cross reference, but can't figure out how to do this.

Supposing I had these statements in my DSL file:

equ offset 25
mem buffer 300

rdax buffer+offset, 0.5

I'd like the "buffer + offset" part to get converted to "buffer + 25".

My DSL needs to consume memory expressions with the following possible structures:

buffer
buffer+25

buffer^
buffer^+25
buffer^-25

buffer#
buffer#-25

Not that it really matters, but "buffer" by itself represents the start address of the buffer, buffer^ represents the middle of the buffer, and buffer# represents the end of the buffer. That's why buffer-25 and buffer#+25 are not valid because they represent addresses outside of the allocated memory space.

Here's my current rule, which picks up all of these as a single string which I can manipulate in Java to get the correct numeric representation:

SPINMEM: 
	ID ('#' | '^')? (('+' | '-') (INT | ID))?
;

You'll notice that I have the possibility of an ID at the end, so that I can also get expressions like:

buffer+offset

where earlier, offset was declared like this (with corresponding rules also shown):

equ offset 25

Equate:
	'equ' ename = ID value = SPINDOUBLE 
;

SPINDOUBLE: 
	'-'? (ID | (INT ( '.' INT)?))
;

Anyway, my currently defined rule will pick up an expression like

buffer+offset

and convert the whole thing to a string available to my Java code. Now since several DSL instructions reference the same type of memory expression, dealing with that is a separate method, meaning that the reference to "offset" is not in the scope where "offset" was declared.

I tried changing "SPINMEM" rule to include a cross reference to a "mem" statement, but Xtext did not like it:

SPINMEM: 
	ID ('#' | '^')? (('+' | '-') (INT | [Mem]))?
;

Gives the error: "No viable alternative at '['". So it really wasn't expecting that. The examples suggest I need to create a "super class" but I'm missing how to do that exactly. Thanks for any suggestions.

GW

[Updated on: Tue, 19 November 2013 05:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Yet another parsing rule question (cross reference) [message #1196881 is a reply to message #1194497] Tue, 19 November 2013 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
Hi,

you can only jave crossrefs in ParserRules that create objects.
therefore you should at least use an assignment

(=> no cross refs in datatype rules)

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Yet another parsing rule question (cross reference) [message #1197005 is a reply to message #1196881] Tue, 19 November 2013 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, that does appear to match my experience. Also, I think it will be helpful to break the expression into more than 1 token.

So for example the worst case, something like:

buffer#-256

or

buffer^+offset

would want to get broken into two or three tokens to be consumed as individual arguments by the parser. So rather than only having "buffer#-offset" to work with, I could have "buffer#" or "buffer" or "buffer^" and either null or "+256" or "-offset". If I want to use "offset" as a literal variable name in my template code, it might be better to break it up further, ("+" | "-") followed by (INT | ID). I haven't experimented with it yet.

I can even probably avoid needing to use a cross reference at all, by coming up with a special data type rule for this type of variable in the code, e.g.

MEMOFFSET: 'memofs' name = ID value = INT;

This would then generate Java code such as:

int name = value;

Then later, substitute "value" in the template code where the instruction references this constant.

Thanks,

GW

[Updated on: Tue, 19 November 2013 18:12]

Re: Yet another parsing rule question (cross reference) [message #1197120 is a reply to message #1197005] Tue, 19 November 2013 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so what about

SPINMEM:
stuff = ID ('#' | '^')? (('+' | '-') (value=INT | mem=[Mem]))?
;

Re: Yet another parsing rule question (cross reference) [message #1198740 is a reply to message #1197120] Wed, 20 November 2013 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Christian, your suggestion looks promising. It requires some other changes to my code so I may have some other questions.

The first question is "how can I keep the trailing '#' or '^' attached to the end of the first token"? Would I have to separate that out as a data type rule?

Thanks again!

GW

[Updated on: Wed, 20 November 2013 14:36]

Re: Yet another parsing rule question (cross reference) [message #1198772 is a reply to message #1198740] Wed, 20 November 2013 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

what do you mean by "keep" you want to preserve the text
then a datatype rule world be fine

Re: Yet another parsing rule question (cross reference) [message #1198831 is a reply to message #1198772] Wed, 20 November 2013 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I already tried it, works great. I need to keep the # or ^ on the end of the parsed token so that the Java code can interpret the offset properly. Thanks, GW
Re: Yet another parsing rule question (cross reference) [message #1200101 is a reply to message #1198831] Thu, 21 November 2013 04:49 Go to previous message
OK, now I have another little subtle issue.

Here's my relevant rules in my xtext grammar:

ReadDelay: 'rda' arg1 = SPINMEM ',' arg2 = SPINDOUBLE;

SPINMEM: 
	buffer = SPINBUF (value = INT | offset=[Offset])?
;

SPINBUF: ID('#'|'^')?('+'|'-')?;

SPINDOUBLE: 
	'-'? (ID | (INT ( '.' INT)?))
;

and here's the section which consumes it in the generator xtend:

def genReadDelay(ReadDelay inst) { 
		if(inst.getArg1.getOffset.name != "") {'''
		// get offset 
		sfxb.FXreadDelay("«inst.getArg1.getBuffer»", «inst.getArg1.getOffset.name», «inst.getArg2»);
		'''
		} 
		else
		if(inst.getArg1.getValue != 0) {'''
		// get value
		sfxb.FXreadDelay("«inst.getArg1.getBuffer»", «inst.getArg1.getValue», «inst.getArg2»);
		'''
		} 
		else {'''
		// default 0 
		sfxb.FXreadDelay("«inst.getArg1.getBuffer»", 0, «inst.getArg2»);
		'''
		} 
	}

I have 3 possibilities for the "offset" part of the memory expression.

#1 - it's not there at all, and the value should be set to 0.
#2 - it's an INT literal, and the value should be that literal.
#3 - it's a cross-reference to an Offset, and the value parsed should be the name of that Offset.

So far I am only able to get the correct answer to cases #1 and #2. Any attempts to access the cross reference when there isn't one defined result in a null pointer exception.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 November 2013 13:21]

Previous Topic:Beginner Question: Xtext Error RULE_ID
Next Topic:duplicate validation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 22:29:38 GMT 2024