Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Cannot connect to VM for debugging, AVast Security the culprit(Eclipse Kepler)
Cannot connect to VM for debugging, AVast Security the culprit [message #1184516] Wed, 13 November 2013 14:04 Go to next message
Gary Worsham is currently offline Gary WorshamFriend
This didn't used to be the case and I am not sure what it was exactly that changed between when it worked and now that it doesn't. I'm stopped dead in my tracks on development for almost a week now.

I've read many posts, most of them several years old, describing the exact error message:

FATAL ERROR in native method: JDWP No transports initialized, jvmtiError=AGENT_ERROR_TRANSPORT_INIT(197)
ERROR: transport error 202: connect failed: Connection timed out
ERROR: JDWP Transport dt_socket failed to initialize, TRANSPORT_INIT(510)
JDWP exit error AGENT_ERROR_TRANSPORT_INIT(197): No transports initialized [../../../src/share/back/debugInit.c:750]

Some suspicion it is related to firewall. I disabled my Avast firewall (by turning it off in the UI and ultimately, stopping the service), didn't make a difference. I did then get a pop up from Windows firewall asking for permission to allow traffic, which I did. Didn't help.

I re enabled Avast and opened TCP in/out on 127.0.0.1 and "localhost".

I'm still not convinced it ISN'T something to do with the firewall but it seems I need a more elaborate debugging strategy. Any pointers? I'm trying just about everything I can find on Google, such as restart the machine, reinstall Eclipse, use JDK instead of JRE, etc.

I don't know how to test my firewall setting independent of Eclipse. Any advice and or wild guesses welcome.

I'm using Windows 7 32 bit. JRE/JDK 1.7.

Thanks!

GW

[Updated on: Wed, 13 November 2013 14:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Cannot connect to VM for debugging [message #1184563 is a reply to message #1184516] Wed, 13 November 2013 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gary Worsham is currently offline Gary WorshamFriend
I uninstalled AVast completely and now debugging works! I'll follow it up with AVast. Meanwhile, can anyone recommend a good AV solution for WIndows that doesn't interfere with Eclipse debugging?
Re: Cannot connect to VM for debugging, AVast Security the culprit [message #1219030 is a reply to message #1184516] Fri, 29 November 2013 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amir Alfoly is currently offline Amir AlfolyFriend
I confirm the same issue:

Eclipse Juno R2
Avast Internet Security 2014

Same error appears.

When I restart, I can debug for nearly 5 mins then it starts generating the same error again.

I tried disabling the firewall but with no success. I don't want to uninstall the Firewall because I need it and this is so annoying.

Can any one tell us how technically the Debugging is started in order to see how to bypass this issue?
Re: Cannot connect to VM for debugging, AVast Security the culprit [message #1388206 is a reply to message #1219030] Thu, 26 June 2014 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vinay Kumar Samudrala is currently offline Vinay Kumar SamudralaFriend

Run from window command prompt
c:\ netstat -ano

It will display all the services respective port which it is using. Kill or stop that specific service.

Then this problem will be resolved.

Thank you.
Vinay Kumar Samudrala
Re: Cannot connect to VM for debugging, AVast Security the culprit [message #1513659 is a reply to message #1184516] Tue, 16 December 2014 18:30 Go to previous message
Ankit Singhal is currently offline Ankit SinghalFriend
I got this error in console when i debug my java code

FATAL ERROR in native method: JDWP No transports initialized, jvmtiError=AGENT_ERROR_TRANSPORT_INIT(197)
ERROR: transport error 202: connect failed: Connection timed out
ERROR: JDWP Transport dt_socket failed to initialize, TRANSPORT_INIT(510)
JDWP exit error AGENT_ERROR_TRANSPORT_INIT(197): No transports initialized [debugInit.c:750]

Previous Topic:[Help] Debug Android Code
Next Topic:A problem with Eclipse Luna Mac version
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 06:10:03 GMT 2024