Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Subversive » Optimizing backup strategy with Tortoise SVN(somewhat off topic)
Optimizing backup strategy with Tortoise SVN [message #1181387] Mon, 11 November 2013 15:18 Go to next message
Gary Worsham is currently offline Gary WorshamFriend
Hi,

I am using TortoiseSVN outside (obviously) of Kepler. I tried installing Subversive and while it did actually look like it was working (e.g. the repository browser) I could not figure out how to actually check things into my repository! I've been using TortoiseSVN for so long that I more or less expected the experience to be the same.

One apparent advantage of Subversive is that is already knows which files NOT to back up from your workspace folders. I am not sure, so with TortoiseSVN I'm backing up everything, including .class files, .metadata\.plugins, etc, which seems wasteful of time and bandwidth.

Is there a guide somewhere as to what parts of the Eclipse workspace (for Java, Xtext, Xtend development) are critical to back up, and which parts are not?

Thanks,

GW

[Updated on: Mon, 11 November 2013 15:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Optimizing backup strategy with Tortoise SVN [message #1219293 is a reply to message #1181387] Tue, 03 December 2013 08:16 Go to previous message
Alexander Gurov is currently offline Alexander GurovFriend
Hello,
I don't know if there're guidelines or not, but I could tell what exactly sould and shouldn't be versioned if you're working with Eclipse and Tortoise SVN:
1) .metadata folder and entire its content shouldn't be versioned since it is not related to the projects you're working with
2) project folders (typically they're folders in your workspace on the same level as .metadata) and their content generally should be versioned except some special cases:
- autogenerated stuff (like *.class files for example, Eclipse identifies them as derivied resources and version control plug-ins tend to automatically ignore them)
- .settings folder is probably not recommended to be stored in source control, since it's content depends on eclipse and/or installed plug-ins version.
So, when you're sharing your project you should add these resources to svn:ignore which will automatically prevent you from committing them later.
Previous Topic:template commit commentary
Next Topic:Synchronize perspective does not show all outgoing changes after update
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:27:12 GMT 2024