Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Avast Security 9.0 blocks debugger port(Noob)
Avast Security 9.0 blocks debugger port [message #1180746] Mon, 11 November 2013 06:01 Go to next message
Gary Worsham is currently offline Gary WorshamFriend
[Edit - I changed the topic to reflect the cause of my problems, which took a week to figure out.]

I can't run the debugger on the second instance of Eclipse. Having generated some code from my DSL, I now want to start integrating it with my existing code. It's a lot easier if I can run the debugger.

However I am getting the error:

Launching MyApplication has encountered a problem.
Cannot connect to VM
Details:
Cannot connect to VM
com.sun.jdi.connect.TransportTimeoutException

And in console window it's displayed:
FATAL ERROR in native method: JDWP No transports initialized, jvmtiError=AGENT_ERROR_TRANSPORT_INIT(197)
ERROR: transport error 202: connect failed: Connection timed out
ERROR: JDWP Transport dt_socket failed to initialize, TRANSPORT_INIT(510)
JDWP exit error AGENT_ERROR_TRANSPORT_INIT(197): No transports initialized [../../../src/share/back/debugInit.c:690]

I thought perhaps I could just switch to the generated workspace from the first instance of Kepler. The DSLs would not be active but I'd be able to work with the already-generated code. However, almost all of my generated code does not show up in the project when doing this for some reason. So the Java application won't run at all.

Seems like things are getting weirder and weirder. I did a full reinstall of Eclipse today and it didn't seem to make any difference to any of the problems I've been having.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 November 2013 14:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Can't run debugger on 2nd instance of Eclipse [message #1180844 is a reply to message #1180746] Mon, 11 November 2013 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
Hi,

is the debug port you use free or is it occupied by something else....

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Can't run debugger on 2nd instance of Eclipse [message #1181373 is a reply to message #1180844] Mon, 11 November 2013 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the hint Christian, I will look into that when I have a moment. Did I tell you I'm doing all this for FUN? Instead of it being my job or homework assignment? Anyway I don't have tons of time to work on it, sadly.

Couple of questions:

1) Would the first instance of Eclipse grab the debug port even if I'm not in debug mode?

2) Why is it that when I load the workspace that I use in the 2nd Eclipse instance into a single Eclipse, I don't see any of my generated source files from my DSL? I understand that the DSL is not active in this context, but the generated Java source files are still in the correct location. Does Eclipse prevent loading of generated files if it doesn't recognize the context from which they were generated?
Re: Can't run debugger on 2nd instance of Eclipse [message #1181393 is a reply to message #1181373] Mon, 11 November 2013 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

sorry i did not really get your second problem. what do you mean by
"I don't see any of my generated source files from my DSL"
they are there if you do not delete them.

regarding the debugging: i dont know your setup etc?
i have never seen this message on my side.

Re: Can't run debugger on 2nd instance of Eclipse [message #1181548 is a reply to message #1181393] Mon, 11 November 2013 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich wrote on Mon, 11 November 2013 10:23
Hi,

sorry i did not really get your second problem. what do you mean by
"I don't see any of my generated source files from my DSL"
they are there if you do not delete them.

The generated Java files do not show up in Project Explorer and methods are noted as missing cross references when trying to build the project.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 November 2013 17:26]

Re: Can't run debugger on 2nd instance of Eclipse [message #1181558 is a reply to message #1181548] Mon, 11 November 2013 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

sure the files are physically there? sure the source folder is not cleaned by someone (e.g. by being a maven target folder??)

if i understand you you have a model project like this

model
src (some model files)
src-gen (some xtext generated files)

and you import this project to another eclipse

Re: Can't run debugger on 2nd instance of Eclipse [message #1182692 is a reply to message #1181558] Tue, 12 November 2013 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, I double checked, and yes, the files are really there, however they did not appear in Project Explorer until I clicked on File...Refresh. That is the first time in about a year of using Eclipse that I have used that feature! But it did work.

So, I was able to go through all the packages with missing references and refreshed them one by one and all the missing files appeared. So I can start trying to debug my project with only one instance of Eclipse running. I still get the same error.

There is another post on the Eclipse forum indicating this issue has to do with using Avast security software, which I am using.

The same problem is posted over at the Avast forum, apparently by the same user:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=139390.0

I have attempted to temporarily disable the firewall and file system protection in Avast and it does not help. I get the same error in the console that I pasted earlier. If I choose "show details" on the error dialog, I get this:

Cannot connect to VM
Socket operation on nonsocket: configureBlocking

Where is the setting in Eclipse that controls the debug port?

I'm slightly suspicious about this being the root cause as I am not doing a remote debugging session and it's not clear to me that a software firewall would interfere between applications all running on my local machine.

My case is slightly different in that I have been using Avast security for longer than I've been using Eclipse. However, in the past month that I've been working on my DSLs with Xtext, I have not been using the debugger. There was a major update to Avast that happened within the past few weeks, which I suppose might be the cause.

Thanks,

GW

[Updated on: Tue, 12 November 2013 11:01]

Re: Can't run debugger on 2nd instance of Eclipse [message #1182720 is a reply to message #1182692] Tue, 12 November 2013 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looked like a similar issue here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7487526/unable-to-debug-in-java-with-eclipse

However I can ping 127.0.0.1 and localhost by name, so that's not the issue. I'm using Windows 7. I understand this issue is outside of Xtext/Xtend so I will follow up in other areas. Thanks!
Re: Can't run debugger on 2nd instance of Eclipse [message #1184557 is a reply to message #1182720] Wed, 13 November 2013 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brief update for anyone who was following it - I uninstalled AVast 9.0 and debugging works again. Arrghh!!!
Re: Can't run debugger on 2nd instance of Eclipse [message #1184953 is a reply to message #1184557] Wed, 13 November 2013 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bit of a storm going on over at Avast right now...

https://feedback.avast.com/responses/eclipse-debug-functionality-not-working-after-upgrade-to-avast-2014
Re: Avast Security 9.0 blocks debugger port [message #1446862 is a reply to message #1180746] Fri, 17 October 2014 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kris K is currently offline Kris KFriend
Hello to all.
I'm bumping the thread because I have a similar problem. Hope it's ok.
Edit : Problem fixed. Does not work with Comodo products.

[Updated on: Mon, 20 October 2014 09:25]

Re: Avast Security 9.0 blocks debugger port [message #1448575 is a reply to message #1446862] Mon, 20 October 2014 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bobby Viber is currently offline Bobby ViberFriend
better to disable any antivirus
Re: Can't run debugger on 2nd instance of Eclipse [message #1753979 is a reply to message #1182692] Mon, 13 February 2017 15:37 Go to previous message
Luiz Eduardo Martins Rodrigues is currently offline Luiz Eduardo Martins RodriguesFriend
I had this same problem:

Cannot connect to VM
Socket operation on nonsocket: configureBlocking

In my case the solution was to remove from the build path a jar: batik-xml.jar
Previous Topic:ASTParser setEnvironment classpath problems
Next Topic:Problems View - Update of Line numbers on file changes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:03:19 GMT 2024