Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Why is Javadoc view always blank? How to read Java API in Eclipse?
Why is Javadoc view always blank? How to read Java API in Eclipse? [message #1176882] Fri, 08 November 2013 16:17 Go to next message
Farkuldi Vale is currently offline Farkuldi ValeFriend
Hello,

I am relatively new to Java, and very new to Eclipse. I thought it was possible to read the Java documentation in Eclipse, and would like to do this if it is. In fact, I thought this was what the Javadoc view at the bottom of Eclipse was for. However, nothing ever shows up in my Javadoc view. I do get the Javadoc when I hover over something, but this is not exactly what I want.

Can someone tell me what I am missing?

Version information: Eclipse SDK

Version: 4.2.2
Build id: M20130204-1200

Running on Slackware Linux

index.php/fa/16707/0/
  • Attachment: eclipse1.png
    (Size: 113.76KB, Downloaded 1192 times)

[Updated on: Sat, 09 November 2013 14:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Why is Javadoc view always blank? How to read Java API in Eclipse? [message #1178079 is a reply to message #1176882] Sat, 09 November 2013 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Farkuldi,

Does the JRE you're using have associated source? In
Window->Preferences->Java->Installed JREs if you Edit... the one(s) you
have, and select one of the jars and click on Source Attachment... is
there one there? You'll want a JDK that comes with a src.jar and use
that as the source attachment.

On 08/11/2013 9:27 PM, Farkuldi Vale wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am relatively new to Java, and very new to Eclipse. I thought it was possible to read the Java documentation in Eclipse, and would like to do this if it is. In fact, I thought this was what the Javadoc view at the bottom of Eclipse was for. However, nothing ever shows up in my Javadoc view. I do get the Javadoc when I hover over something, but this is not exactly what I want.
>
> Can someone tell me what I am missing?
>
> Version information: Eclipse SDK
>
> Version: 4.2.2
> Build id: M20130204-1200
>
> Running on Slackware Linux
>
>

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Why is Javadoc view always blank? How to read Java API in Eclipse? [message #1178291 is a reply to message #1178079] Sat, 09 November 2013 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks wrote on Sat, 09 November 2013 06:20
Farkuldi,

Does the JRE you're using have associated source? In
Window->Preferences->Java->Installed JREs if you Edit... the one(s) you
have, and select one of the jars and click on Source Attachment... is
there one there? You'll want a JDK that comes with a src.jar and use
that as the source attachment.

Thank you for your reply. I looked in that section, and it lists a lot of JRE System Libraries. I clicked on Source Attachment for all of them, though, and none have anything there. I have no idea what I am looking at, though, or what to do. How do I get the src.jar, and when I have it, which one of the JRE System Library entries in that menu do I associate it with? There are about 20 there.

Also, I forgot to mention that I downloaded the Javadocs as a zip file, and through following instructions somewhere else to get the documentation showing, I somehow imported them into this window. This is what I have:

index.php/fa/16711/0/
  • Attachment: eclipse2.png
    (Size: 115.51KB, Downloaded 1050 times)
Re: Why is Javadoc view always blank? How to read Java API in Eclipse? [message #1179879 is a reply to message #1178291] Sun, 10 November 2013 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Farkuldi,

You just download a JDK with source. E.g., I think these will contain a
src.zip

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk7-downloads-1880260.html

If you create a new JRE entry and point it at such a JDK with a src.zip
I think they'll be automatically attached.

On 09/11/2013 3:44 PM, Farkuldi Vale wrote:
> Ed Merks wrote on Sat, 09 November 2013 06:20
>> Farkuldi,
>>
>> Does the JRE you're using have associated source? In
>> Window->Preferences->Java->Installed JREs if you Edit... the one(s) you
>> have, and select one of the jars and click on Source Attachment... is
>> there one there? You'll want a JDK that comes with a src.jar and use
>> that as the source attachment.
>
>
> Thank you for your reply. I looked in that section, and it lists a lot of JRE System Libraries. I clicked on Source Attachment for all of them, though, and none have anything there. I have no idea what I am looking at, though, or what to do. How do I get the src.jar, and when I have it, which one of the JRE System Library entries in that menu do I associate it with? There are about 20 there.
>
>
> Also, I forgot to mention that I downloaded the Javadocs as a zip file, and through following instructions somewhere else to get the documentation showing, I somehow imported them into this window. This is what I have:
>
>

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Why is Javadoc view always blank? How to read Java API in Eclipse? [message #1180690 is a reply to message #1179879] Mon, 11 November 2013 05:09 Go to previous message
Ha, it works! I did not have to create a new JRE entry--I just uninstalled my old JDK and put in the new one. This will make things easier, thank you. Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 11 November 2013 05:09]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:I cant redirect the output to a file
Next Topic:"... does not exist" on export (runnable jar)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 18:00:11 GMT 2024