Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Validation in xtext(Clarifications on Validation in xtext)
icon5.gif  Validation in xtext [message #1174947] Thu, 07 November 2013 12:16 Go to next message
Arshad Adavani is currently offline Arshad AdavaniFriend
Hi all,
For my language created from xtext grammar I have written some validation checks/methods. This is fine, it works perfectly for me. But I want something more,

1. When I launch my product(as Eclipse Application ) the validations checks are NOT CALLED. I want all the validation checks to be called when I launch my tool. But it happens only when I edit or do some stuff in my editor.
Problem with this: Last state of the editor is saved when I close my product, and if I write/update the validation checks, these things will not be called when I launch my tool next time and only will be called when I do something in the editor.

2. As soon as I start typing value for a field in the editor, the validation checks are called which results in errors. I don't want it to happen. I want to call the validation when typing is completed.
For e.g. say that I have a enum in my editor (enum_Sample=10) and I will be referring this at some other place. No doubt if I press (Ctrl + Space), I will get the content assist. But if I start typing "enum_Sample", untill its typed completely, for each character it will give me an error.

Thanks in advance for your help !! Smile Smile

Arshad
Re: Validation in xtext [message #1174965 is a reply to message #1174947] Thu, 07 November 2013 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
Hi,

simply calling a project clean ? or do not persit the state?

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
icon5.gif  Re: Validation in xtext [message #1176005 is a reply to message #1174965] Fri, 08 November 2013 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Christian,
But Can I call the validation checks when my tool is launched?
And can you help me with Point No. 2 that I have mentioned above.

Thanks in advance Smile

Arshad
Re: Validation in xtext [message #1176200 is a reply to message #1176005] Fri, 08 November 2013 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have no idea on that.

--
Need training, onsite consulting or any other kind of help for Xtext?
Go visit http://xtext.itemis.com or send a mail to xtext at itemis dot de

Re: Validation in xtext [message #1176224 is a reply to message #1176200] Fri, 08 November 2013 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
P.S:

you can change the execution time of checks via
@Check(CheckType.YOUR_CHOICE)

icon5.gif  Re: Validation in xtext [message #1182381 is a reply to message #1176224] Tue, 12 November 2013 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Chistian,
Thanks for your reply. It helped me. So I can use one among FAST, NORMAL and EXPENSIVE.
FAST and NORMAL are pretty clear to me. Could you please explain me a little about EXPENSIVE. It says "an action, which can be optionally generated for you DSL, explicitely evaluates EXPENSIVE constraints ". But I did not understand properly.

Thanks in advance Smile

Arshad
Re: Validation in xtext [message #1182415 is a reply to message #1182381] Tue, 12 November 2013 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rightclick on the Open Editor with the file to validate -> then choose validate (note there a 2 validates - in my case it is the upper one)

Re: Validation in xtext [message #1182509 is a reply to message #1182381] Tue, 12 November 2013 08:29 Go to previous message
Uli Merkel is currently offline Uli MerkelFriend
AFAIK, on uses the EXPENSIVE if the validation of some issues takes too long (who wants to wait 20 mins per save?).

So these need a manual invocation, as Dietrich explained.
Previous Topic:How to make the default value of "Literals Interface" to be "true"
Next Topic:Restrict Index (EObjectDescriptions)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:47:40 GMT 2024