Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » How do I move the perspectives tray?
How do I move the perspectives tray? [message #1173450] Wed, 06 November 2013 14:27 Go to next message
Peter Steele is currently offline Peter SteeleFriend
I recently installed Kepler and was experimenting with the location of the perspectives tray (this is what I call the UI component that holds the shortcuts to my various perspectives like Java, PyDev, Debug, etc). It one test I moved it to the top right corner of my main Eclipse window, to the right of the Quick Access text box. I then decided I'd prefer to have it all the way to the left. However, I can no longer grab it and move it. The cursor does not change to a hand signalling that it is a movable UI component. How do I resolve this?
Re: How do I move the perspectives tray? [message #1173520 is a reply to message #1173450] Wed, 06 November 2013 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
There should be a separator between the Quick Access box and the Perspective bar. Grab the separator and drag to position the Perspective bar.
Re: How do I move the perspectives tray? [message #1174988 is a reply to message #1173520] Thu, 07 November 2013 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, that's the problem--there *is* no separator bar. The other components on the tool bar all have the verticle bar consisting of four dots and when I move the mouse over one of these it changes into a hand, letting me click and drag the component to another location. There is no such grab bar for the perspectives component, nor is there one for the Quick Access field. I seem to have moved the perspectives bar into a netherland where there is no escape...

[Updated on: Thu, 07 November 2013 12:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How do I move the perspectives tray? [message #1175152 is a reply to message #1174988] Thu, 07 November 2013 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
My only other suggestion would be to reset the perspective using Window->Reset Perspective.
Re: How do I move the perspectives tray? [message #1175262 is a reply to message #1175152] Thu, 07 November 2013 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That rearranged the various panes making my perspective, like Outline, Tasks, etc, but didn't touch the tool bar.
Re: How do I move the perspectives tray? [message #1175420 is a reply to message #1175262] Thu, 07 November 2013 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I checked a friend's Eclipse and he had his perspectives bar on the far right the same as I do. In his case though he could move it. The separator bar was visible the same as all of the other tool bar components and he could drag the perspectives set to the left. For some reason the separator bar is missing. My guess is this is some kind of Eclipse bug that I've hit.

Re: How do I move the perspectives tray? [message #1177438 is a reply to message #1175420] Sat, 09 November 2013 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toshihiro Izumi is currently offline Toshihiro IzumiFriend
Try deleting {your_workspace}/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.e4.workbench/workbench.xmi

FWIW, it has following elements normally.
<children xsi:type="menu:ToolControl" xmi:id="..." elementId="PerspectiveSwitcher" contributionURI="bundleclass://org.eclipse.ui.workbench/org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.addons.perspectiveswitcher.PerspectiveSwitcher">
  <tags>Draggable</tags>
</children>

If "Draggable" is missing or broken, the drag-handle of the perspective switcher will be gone.
Before deleting workbench.xmi, it may better to check elements above or to create new workspace.

BTW, there is no drag-handle of the perspective switcher in "Default Theme"(Preferences>General>Appearance). It can be hidden by specific css style also.
Re: How do I move the perspectives tray? [message #1180093 is a reply to message #1177438] Sun, 10 November 2013 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, I'll have to check this out...
Re: How do I move the perspectives tray? [message #1182892 is a reply to message #1180093] Tue, 12 November 2013 13:41 Go to previous message
Surprisingly, that did not solve the problem. A new workbench.xmi was created automatically when I relaunched Eclipse, and the various panes were somewhat jumbled up from how I normally have things arranged, but the perspectives switcher was still in the top right beside the Quick Access text box with no drag handle. There was only Java included in it (no Python, Debug, or Git), but definitely no drag handle. What's interesting is that the <tags>Draggable</tags> *is* there in the xmi file, both in my original and in the recreated file.

As I was doing this I noticed I had made a backup of my .metadata folder before upgrading to Kepler. I restored my workbench.xmi file from that backup and on relaunching Eclipse the perspectives switcher was back to my old location on the far left, oriented vertically. I was able to then drag it to the top left of the tool bar, oriented horizontally. So my problem is solved. Amusingly, I can see that in this new location, it once again has no drag handle. At least it's where I want it so I'll take what I've got...
Previous Topic:One simple question for display workspce
Next Topic:Could not install plug-in : IAR compiler and Debugger support
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:15:28 GMT 2024