Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Remote Debugging(Simple debugging solution desired without host GDB)
Remote Debugging [message #1172781] Wed, 06 November 2013 04:36 Go to next message
Jamie McPeek is currently offline Jamie McPeekFriend
I've been using NetBeans for remote C/C++ development when using a Windows workstation (Linux target) and have been looking to make a transition to Eclipse.

I have looked for a number of different solutions offered, between my understanding of the Remote System Explorer (RSE) offering, the PTP RDT offerings, as well as using a Synchronized C/C++ project.

In each of these scenarios I have encountered an issue in one form or another and have been unsuccessful in sorting through the available documentation to find the most appropriate approach.

In general, I am looking for something with the simplicity offered by NetBeans for its remote development features. A short description can be found at the link below for those who are unfamiliar:

https:// netbeans.org /kb/docs/cnd/remotedev-tutorial.html

In general, the experience I am looking to duplicate meets the following requirements:

• Files exist and are edited on the local client and are synchronized between host and target (appears to be available via Synchronized Project type).
  • All building and linking dependencies are restricted to the remote target (appears to be available via Synchronized Project type).
  • Searching through headers, declarations, definitions, etc. is restricted to the remote target (appears to be available via Remote Project type).
  • No dependency upon GDB or any other tools installed on the local client (beyond Eclipse and appropriate plugin set). Ideally over ssh with terminal output piped to Eclipse itself (was not able to accomplish this).
  • Breakpoints, watches, setting of variables, etc. work the same as they would for a local project.

Or, to sum this up from the NetBeans tutorial itself:

Quote:
Ideally, you shouldn't see any difference in workflow between doing local and remote development once you've set up the remote build host.

Is this something that is achievable with Eclipse and I've just been looking in the wrong places, or is this an area in which Eclipse still has room to grow/is not mature yet?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
icon9.gif  Re: Remote Debugging [message #1186272 is a reply to message #1172781] Thu, 14 November 2013 15:47 Go to previous message
Frederik Grunta is currently offline Frederik GruntaFriend
Also a NetBeans user and I've been wondering about this for about 2 years now. All the relevant documentation seems to be either outdated or incomplete.

An answer to this would be very helpful...
Previous Topic:How to detect when the EventManager is done with processing a certain event
Next Topic:java.lang.NullPointerException during indexation of Boost header
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:15:17 GMT 2024