Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » EGit removing stale branches?
EGit removing stale branches? [message #1170243] Mon, 04 November 2013 14:00 Go to next message
na na is currently offline na naFriend
Hi,

I'm new to Git and just playing around with the tools trying this and that. I set up
a remote repo (R), cloned it twice to different locations (A,B), created a local
branch with A, pushed it to R, pulled it into B. Than I deleted the remote branch
via a push spec from A and R. So far so good. But than I realized that the changes
did not travel into B. I wasn't able to find an option to prune stale branches.

So, how can I remove stale remote branches with EGit? Using the (msys) CLI I can issue various commands like git fetch --prune or git remote prune origin.
Re: EGit removing stale branches? [message #1170666 is a reply to message #1170243] Mon, 04 November 2013 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
I don't think prune is supported directly yet in EGit.
But supposedly JGit supports the gc.pruneExpire config parameter, and EGit definitely supports git gc (look in the right-click menu of entries in the Git Repositories view for that). So in theory you could do it that way. I've never tried it though.

Probably easier to to use the command-line, or a simple external launcher with the root of the currently selected clone as the working directory. Ordinarily You can get at the clone root with the variable ${git_work_tree}
Re: EGit removing stale branches? [message #1176659 is a reply to message #1170666] Fri, 08 November 2013 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
This isn't yet implemented in EGit. GC does not delete any refs but only purges unreachable objects.
Re: EGit removing stale branches? [message #1576679 is a reply to message #1176659] Wed, 21 January 2015 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ulrich Wielant is currently offline Ulrich WielantFriend
I stumbled over the same question today. From my experience it is still not supported.

Is there a bug for that?
Re: EGit removing stale branches? [message #1579289 is a reply to message #1576679] Thu, 22 January 2015 22:41 Go to previous message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
I didn't find an enhancement bug requesting this feature
Previous Topic:Saving in merge tool causes endless blocking
Next Topic:Pushing, auth fail
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:02:39 GMT 2024