Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EclipseLink » EclipseLink seems to ignore columnDefinition and nullable(columnDefinition and nullable parameters on @JoinColumn are ignored)
EclipseLink seems to ignore columnDefinition and nullable [message #1152367] Thu, 24 October 2013 00:43 Go to next message
nuno pinto is currently offline nuno pintoFriend
EclipseLink 2.5 seems to be ignoring columnDefinition and nullable when generating DDL to a PostgreSQL database.

My code:

User.java

public class User implements Serializable {
  @Id
  @Column(name = "id", columnDefinition = "bigserial")
  private Long id = null;
}

UserProfile.java

public class UserProfile implements Serializable {
  @OneToOne
  @JoinColumn(name = "invited_by", columnDefinition = "bigint", nullable = true)
  private User invitedBy = null;
}

UserProfile should be created with the field invited_by such as invited_by bigint but instead it is generating

invited_by bigserial not null

Is this a bug or am I doing it wrong? The same code works with Hibernate.

Thanks
Re: EclipseLink seems to ignore columnDefinition and nullable [message #1154994 is a reply to message #1152367] Fri, 25 October 2013 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Delahunt is currently offline Chris DelahuntFriend
EclipseLink uses the columnDefinition as is to override any settings, so that explains why the nullable would be ignored - similar to https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=279503

I could not find a bug filed for EclipseLink using the referenced field's columnDefinition, so you may want to file one if it is still not fixed in the 2.5.1 or 2.6 releases. A workaround would be to use a descriptor customizer to manually define the DatabaseField object used in the invitedBy OneToOneMapping.
Re: EclipseLink seems to ignore columnDefinition and nullable [message #1155000 is a reply to message #1154994] Fri, 25 October 2013 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Delahunt is currently offline Chris DelahuntFriend
Another workaround is to avoid using the columnDefinition as described in this answer:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9284564/eclipselink-postgresql-doesnt-use-bigserial-to-long-id
Re: EclipseLink seems to ignore columnDefinition and nullable [message #1155137 is a reply to message #1152367] Fri, 25 October 2013 18:18 Go to previous message
nuno pinto is currently offline nuno pintoFriend
Thanks for the replies. I've seen both the stackoverflow link and the mentioned bug report. I really wanted to use serial types because the database is going to be used by more applications. This bug made me rethink my approach and I decided to code the database first (as it is the core component of the system) and let eclipselink generate entities from it. So far I am happy with this approach.

I do believe it is a bug though. It generates serial columns to foreign keys, which can never be, and doesn't allow to override. However as I changed my code and won't be able to keep an eye on it I'm not sure if I should start a bug report which I won't be following.

Thanks

[Updated on: Fri, 25 October 2013 18:19]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Coonection timesout after 8 hours
Next Topic:Issues with uow.getOriginalVersionOfObject(workingClone)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:17:19 GMT 2024