Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Launching p2 UI from application model(P2 UI from help menu)
Launching p2 UI from application model [message #1137005] Mon, 14 October 2013 07:49 Go to next message
Gregg Stewart is currently offline Gregg StewartFriend
Hello,

I am hoping someone can help. I am fairly new to eclipse rcp development and have tried researching this myself (a lot) and made various attempts without luck. My goal is to successfully launch the "install new software" p2 UI. Specifically, I am trying to add this to an rcp application. I am starting with the application model (application.e4xmi - using Kepler). I have tried following advice from several sources including:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox/p2/Adding_Self-Update_to_an_RCP_Application
Ralf Elbert's p2 tutorial
Eclipse PDE Help

I've tried learning rcp using Lars Vogel's book and have also picked up the osgi book too. Besides the instructional applications built through these learning facilities this is the first application I am trying to build. I feel my inexperience is my disadvantage and would really appreciate any pointers from this audience. Details are fantastic but even high level responses would be great.

I can provide details on the various ways I have tried to do this (adding compatibility plugins, alt+shift+9 to see how eclipse does it, etc) or anything else you feel is necessary.

Cheers,
Gregg
Re: Launching p2 UI from application model [message #1137013 is a reply to message #1137005] Mon, 14 October 2013 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Take a look at this project https://github.com/klevis/Eclipse-P4 It's a service based P2 functionality which does not drag 3.x dependencies.
Re: Launching p2 UI from application model [message #1138298 is a reply to message #1137013] Tue, 15 October 2013 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gregg Stewart is currently offline Gregg StewartFriend
First of all... wow! That was such a fast response. Thank you, thank you, thank you... I can't thank you enough. You actually helped me with two problems (thanks to another post of yours on the forums).

I have looked at the project you recommended and it is helping me understand how to accomplish my objective in addition to helping me learn P2 better. Hopefully the Equinox project will include an updated version of the "Install New Software" feature to be called/used from the application model. I can't tell you how much time I spent trying to get it to work. Although I have learned a few things along the way so it was not a waste of time.

Is something I should do to officially credit you for helping me?

Many thanks,
Gregg
Re: Launching p2 UI from application model [message #1138599 is a reply to message #1138298] Tue, 15 October 2013 07:36 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Glad I helped you.

Gregg Stewart

Is something I should do to officially credit you for helping me?

No, but thanks for asking.
Previous Topic:errors when move eclipse from 32 to 64 bits system
Next Topic:Typed event topics
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:01:07 GMT 2024