Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Share projects on multiple platforms
Share projects on multiple platforms [message #1134347] Sat, 12 October 2013 12:23 Go to next message
Eleonora Mising name is currently offline Eleonora Mising nameFriend
Hi all,
I am trying to create multiple C++ projects, which have to be shared among different computers (which are in turn running different operating systems).
I have created my projects using a PC with Windows 7. However, I noticed that Eclipse binds some configurations to the projects: for instance, it is said that once the code is compiled, a .exe file has to be created. Obviously this is NOT working on other platforms (Mac OS X, Linux, unix in general), since a .exe file cannot be executed.

Is there a simple way of sharing a project across different platforms, or convert an existing project in Windows in a project for other platforms? I am requiring, if possible, a simple technique, since I have to share these projects with newbies, and I cannot ask them to do complicated things in order to achieve the expected result.

Thank you all in advance,
Best,
Eleanore.
Re: Share projects on multiple platforms [message #1134709 is a reply to message #1134347] Sat, 12 October 2013 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klaus km is currently offline Klaus kmFriend
Hello Eleanore,

Quote:
Is there a simple way of sharing a project across different platforms

"Simple"? I think that is not possible.
But read this article to find out more:
"Cross-Platform C/C++ Development with Eclipse CDT":
http://www.drdobbs.com/cpp/cross-platform-cc-development-with-eclip/232300575

Regards,
Klaus

Re: Share projects on multiple platforms [message #1135627 is a reply to message #1134709] Sun, 13 October 2013 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slajerek . is currently offline slajerek .Friend
Solution is quite simple - create subfolders in your project such as:
./Platform/Linux
./Platform/Windows

etc. and put there (create new) projects, one per each platform. I think that's only reasonable solution.
Re: Share projects on multiple platforms [message #1140342 is a reply to message #1135627] Wed, 16 October 2013 09:39 Go to previous message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
You should create a build configuration for every platform. In each build configuration you can define the tool chain, build steps, paths etc.
This way you can share the project and people will use a build configuration depending on their local OS.

see http://help.eclipse.org/kepler/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.cdt.doc.user%2Freference%2Fcdt_u_prop_all.htm

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google

[Updated on: Wed, 16 October 2013 09:40]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Convinient way of switching between Cross GCC and native build?
Next Topic:"required from..." errors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:58:55 GMT 2024