Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Files with .# in my war, why?
Files with .# in my war, why? [message #173721] Mon, 10 July 2006 02:48 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: fsa3.optonline.net

I noticed that in the war files that I'm exporting there are lots of files
that begin with .# and then what looks to be a cvs version number appended
to them. Anyone know why that is happening and what I can do to prevent
it?

Thanks,
Frank
Re: Files with .# in my war, why? [message #173762 is a reply to message #173721] Mon, 10 July 2006 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: alex_blewitt.yahoo.com

Sounds like a temporary file created by an editor or diff tool that's not being removed. Are you editing these files outside of Eclipse, or using any other kind of comparison tool?

Alex.
Re: Files with .# in my war, why? [message #173770 is a reply to message #173762] Mon, 10 July 2006 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: fsa3.optonline.net

No not at all. Never touched them outside of eclipse. The files look like
they are created by cvs b/c they always have cvs revision numbers appended
to them.

-Frank
Re: Files with .# in my war, why? [message #173778 is a reply to message #173721] Mon, 10 July 2006 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: cooll.free.fr

Frank A. wrote:
> I noticed that in the war files that I'm exporting there are lots of
> files that begin with .#

It's a file made by CVS before a file is merged.
Don't know if there is a way to prevent them from being exported.
You can delete them if merge was successfull.
Re: Files with .# in my war, why? [message #174081 is a reply to message #173770] Wed, 12 July 2006 13:38 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: alex_blewitt.yahoo.com

I actually saw these in an unrelated CVS project I was working in. If you make uncommitted changes to a file, then do a cvs update on the command line, your uncommitted changes get backed up as the .# file.

I'm not sure why this would happen, but it's possible that you're editing the files (either manually or automatically) and that when a CVS update occurs, CVS is moving the file
out of the way. This might happen e.g. if you have some files in a build folder (e.g. WEB-INF/classes) checked into CVS, and the build process keeps putting newer versions in there (which are then overwritten by CVS during a CVS update). Or it may be that your editing tools are updating the timestamp of the files even though they're not being changed, so CVS is moving them out of the way.

I also know of problems with files, timestamps, and samba shares when Windows and Linux are involved; if you're hosting your files from a Windows box onto a Linux Samba share, then CVS might be thinking that the files have changed (different timestamp) even though Eclipse doesn't (and therefore doesn't offer a merge).

You should be able to see if you can re-create this by doing a lot of CVS updates and looking for .# files being generated. That might give you a clue; and you can 'diff' the files and/or check the timestamps to see what's there.

Alex.
Previous Topic:Re-publishing base classes in Tomcat
Next Topic:Migrating from .70
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:55:45 GMT 2024