Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » ATL » ATL and heap space
icon5.gif  ATL and heap space [message #1129165] Tue, 08 October 2013 10:59 Go to next message
Javier García is currently offline Javier GarcíaFriend
Hi everyone,
I've been using ATL for a few months, both regular ATL and EMFTVM, and I have been noticing that no matter what the heap space of my Eclipse is, eventually it gets full after running a few ATL transformations.
This means that Eclipse keeps going slower and slower and at some point I'm forced to restart it so that it can work smooth again, if I don't restart it by myself I will just get eventually an error due to the heap space forcing me to close Eclipse.

Is this an ATL issue? is there a way to solve it or prevent it? has someone else noticed it?

Thanks in advance,
regards,
Javier
Re: ATL and heap space [message #1129253 is a reply to message #1129165] Tue, 08 October 2013 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dennis Wagelaar is currently offline Dennis WagelaarFriend

For me, it happens only with UML2 models.

Cheers,
Dennis
Re: ATL and heap space [message #1130130 is a reply to message #1129165] Wed, 09 October 2013 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ronan B is currently offline Ronan BFriend
Hi,
For me his happens only if i'm writing/testing transforms which fail for some reason i.e. throw Exceptions. In our production system which has "no known fatal errors" the heap space stays consistent.
Regards,
Ronan
Re: ATL and heap space [message #1130141 is a reply to message #1130130] Wed, 09 October 2013 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I do work with UML2, is this then some kind of issue regarding ATL and UML2 transformations?

Ronan to me it happens even if my transformation works, though I do get some warnings, I don't know if that would have something to do with the issue.

Thanks for your help
regards,
Javier
Re: ATL and heap space [message #1130374 is a reply to message #1130141] Wed, 09 October 2013 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Javier,
I use both UML and Ecore and I don't see this happen. The stack always goes back to the level it was at before, even for massive long running transforms. Perhaps you are using the ATL Menu Launcher (Run Configuration)? I only use this when testing and perhaps that is why I see such issues there when the transforms fail. For production I always use the ATL Launcher API from org.eclipse.m2m.atl.core

You could try using the API or the ANT tasks and see if that helps.

Regards,
Ronan
Re: ATL and heap space [message #1131202 is a reply to message #1130374] Thu, 10 October 2013 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ronan,
you're completely right, I'm using the ATL menu launcher, is it somehow bugged when working with UML2? I have used ANT tasks in the past, I never used the API, though I guess if I have to I will but I'd rather keep things as they are.
I will run some tests with ANT tasks and see if it is still troublesome, I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks for your help,
regards,
Javier
Re: ATL and heap space [message #1131385 is a reply to message #1131202] Thu, 10 October 2013 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
I think ANT uses the API so they should be same. If you see a difference between the laucher and the API/ANT it would be good to file a bug.
Regards,
Ronan
Re: ATL and heap space [message #1132726 is a reply to message #1131385] Fri, 11 October 2013 10:52 Go to previous message
Thanks Ronan, I'll test it next week and I'll let you guys know the results!
Previous Topic:[EMFTVM] Path to import modules
Next Topic:ANT Task
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:03:22 GMT 2024