Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » [SOLVED] Cannot install plug-in through the update site I have created using Eclipse(I keep getting "Cannot complete the install because some dependencies are not satisfiable" error)
icon14.gif  [SOLVED] Cannot install plug-in through the update site I have created using Eclipse [message #1123595] Wed, 02 October 2013 18:43 Go to next message
Kivanc Muslu is currently offline Kivanc MusluFriend
Hi all,

I am trying to deploy an Eclipse feature (consisting of several plug-ins) by creating an update site project and publishing the project on my web page.

I tried installing it back on an empty Eclipse installation for testing, however for some reason it does not work and keeps giving the following error:
Quote:

Cannot complete the install because some dependencies are not satisfiable
com.kivancmuslu.www.solstice.continuous.testing.feature.group [1.0.0.201309302252] cannot be installed in this environment because its filter is not applicable.

The same feature (plug-in group) tests perfectly through Eclipse's internal testing (e.g., when you run the plug-in as an Eclipse project for development testing reasons).

I tried to search the problem online, people suggest that the plug-in might be exported in an architecture that does not comply with the Eclipse installation. However, I am pretty sure that I have not restricted any architectural details while creating the update site or coding the plug-in.

Any pointers on what the problem might be and/or suggestions are highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Edit: Removed the link to the plug-in update site as the issue is solved.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 October 2013 07:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Cannot install plug-in through the update site I have created using Eclipse [message #1136988 is a reply to message #1123595] Mon, 14 October 2013 07:35 Go to previous message
Kivanc Muslu is currently offline Kivanc MusluFriend
Hi everyone,

I have solved the problem. I don't know exactly how, however here are some steps that I hope will help other people for solving or debugging similar problems.

First, debugging:
It really helps you to understand the problem better (since the error message does not tell anything about it), if you add plug-in to your feature one-by-one. Your feature will be broken, however if there is a plug-in that has a missing dependency, then you can detect it along the way. Up to some point (the point where you add the problem plug-in), your feature will install correctly through the update site and then it will start failing. This was not the case with my problem.

While debugging, I tried to double check the dependencies that my plug-ins and features require. Along the way, I did:

Break down my feature into two features. It was already like this conceptually. I was quite happy (and frustrated) when I see that my smaller feature installed without any problems Smile
    Double check the dependent plug-ins for each plug-in in my feature. Although I try to be quite careful while adding dependencies, I still found a few inconsistencies during this time. I do not know whether this was the main problem, but in any case, it is a good thing to do.
    Finally, I realized that in my main feature, under the "Dependencies" tab, I have not selected "Recompute when feature plug-ins change" and the list of dependencies were empty! I highly believe that this was the main problem, but I do not have a proof. When you say "Compute" here, Eclipse automatically fills the list for you, so I really wonder why this is not a default process.

Hope it helps to other people.
Previous Topic:Configuring Eclipse to Point to JVM
Next Topic:CulomnLabelProvider override CellEditorLabelProvider
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 15:01:39 GMT 2024