Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Trouble creating new Synchronized Project from old Git repository
Trouble creating new Synchronized Project from old Git repository [message #1121693] Mon, 30 September 2013 22:07 Go to next message
Joshua Strodtbeck is currently offline Joshua StrodtbeckFriend
Ok, first, my background: This is the first time I've used an IDE since a 100-level class in college. My idea of writing software is using Emacs and typing "make" at the command line. Realities of an expanding company are pushing me toward an IDE. Okay, onward with my problem!

We've got a GIT repository here at work. We don't use any forks at all. I figured out how to get this through Eclipse, the "general project" option.

What I want to do is be able to compile and run the sources on our Beowulf cluster, which is set up so that everything uses the same file system (as in all of our desktops share a file system with the cluster, so you never have to ssh to view/edit files). I created a new, empty Makefile project that's linked to one of our cluster nodes...but at this point, I'm lost. I can't figure out how to get the source files into my new project, let alone make and run them. I've been through the tutorials a number of times, but I'm quite stuck here.

Alternatively, is it possible to reconfigure my generic project to be a sync'd parallel project?
Re: Trouble creating new Synchronized Project from old Git repository [message #1122611 is a reply to message #1121693] Tue, 01 October 2013 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All right, I've got it synchronized, if anyone was wondering. Now all I have to is figure out how to make it do something when I click the hammer icon. It claims it built it, but said it took 0ms, and I've got no .o files or executable. Guess I'll keep scouring the Internet for clues.
Re: Trouble creating new Synchronized Project from old Git repository [message #1123392 is a reply to message #1122611] Wed, 02 October 2013 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, turns out I was overthinking things. Since our cluster and desktops share a file system, there was no need for synchronization. I just set up a Makefile project using existing code, then set up the make command to do this:

ssh [parallel cluster work node] "cd ${workspace_loc:/MyProject} ; make"

That's necessary because cluster uses different compilers than our desktops. Works like a champ. On to running and debugging!

(I realize I'm getting no responses, but I figure I might as well update the thread in case anyone else is having similar trouble, or sees my solution, thinks it's stupid, and wants to tell me a better way.)

[Updated on: Wed, 02 October 2013 14:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Trouble creating new Synchronized Project from old Git repository [message #1123565 is a reply to message #1123392] Wed, 02 October 2013 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All right, I think I am finally zeroing in on my problem. The problem stems from the way our machines are set up here at work. Every machine shares a file system in order for us to be able to work seamlessly, but I still have to use ssh to run on the cluster. I can't submit a slurm batch job or do an mpirun from the desktop. The issue then is how do I set up to execute on the cluster? I can't set it up as a remote host because sftp isn't enabled. But if I set it up as a localhost, it tries to execute on my machine. I'd really appreciate any help if anyone has any ideas.
Re: Trouble creating new Synchronized Project from old Git repository [message #1123732 is a reply to message #1121693] Wed, 02 October 2013 21:42 Go to previous message
Turns out that our non-standard install of openmpi was the problem. I had compiled as openmpi, but Eclipse was trying to execute mpich's mpirun. So if I compile as mpich, but select openmpi when creating a remote connection, the scripts work okay. Probably should change my PATH variables to force it to do the right thing.

So now it loads from the repository, compiles, and runs...it just doesn't output to the console now! Hm.
Previous Topic:How to Import preferences without using the "File > Import" feature?
Next Topic:File not found excption for i18n.jar in debugger
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:01:54 GMT 2024