Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Standard Widget Toolkit (SWT) » Dropdown issue in table column(DropDown not working correctly in OpenSuse Linux 11.3)
Dropdown issue in table column [message #1118326] Fri, 27 September 2013 09:42 Go to next message
Prakash Kamani is currently offline Prakash KamaniFriend
The issue is very specific to DROPDOWN in the table column. We have business case where UI is design in such a way that first 2 columns in the table are dropdowns. Based on selection in first column, 2nd column dropdown value is populated.

This aspect is working very well in WINDOWS platform where as failing in OpenSuse 11.3 linux.

Problems faced is that when there is focus on one of the dropdown values in first column and then user navigates to 2nd column using mouse click and not TAB action of keyboard, the focuses dropdown value in first column does not get auto selected and populated in the cell leading to 2nd column having incorrect data.

I have attached the snapshot of the UI in the document.

Have anyone faced such issue. Need pointers on area to look for answers.

Initial thought was that it could be OS issue for events but ruled that out by using another application (JSP based) having dropdown value and executed same step.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 September 2013 10:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Dropdown issue in table column [message #1118591 is a reply to message #1118326] Fri, 27 September 2013 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arun Thondapu is currently offline Arun ThondapuFriend
Hi Prakash,

Are you using JFace TableViewer? If so, it might be a good idea to post this on the JFace newsgroup too in case someone has encountered a similar issue.

If you're using SWT Table widget directly, would it be possible for you to come up with a simple snippet of code that uses only SWT and exhibits this problem?

Can you also check this on a different OpenSuse or even a different Linux distro to confirm the problem is not caused by something in the existing environment?
Re: Dropdown issue in table column [message #1122296 is a reply to message #1118591] Tue, 01 October 2013 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gerin Jacob is currently offline Gerin JacobFriend
This issue happens with SWT Table/TableEditor in openSUSE. This issue does not occur with RedHat or Windows.

When we select the drop down value using mouse, selection happens properly. But drop down selection does not happen while using up & down arrow keys.
Re: Dropdown issue in table column [message #1122318 is a reply to message #1122296] Tue, 01 October 2013 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arun, looking at the testing that we did with base SWT (gerin has posted code), it seems that SWT components is not working on openSUSE. Any clue why SWT component will behave differently and what more should be looked around this as next step.
Re: Dropdown issue in table column [message #1125491 is a reply to message #1122318] Fri, 04 October 2013 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its a bit weird that you are seeing this problem on OpenSuSE but not on RedHat Linux because as far as SWT is concerned, our implementation just uses the same underlying GTK+ APIs on all Linux platforms. Which version of GTK+ exactly are you running on the OpenSuSE machine? The different behavior on different Linux boxes can sometimes be attributed to the desktop or windowing theme being used. Can you experiment using different themes and related settings to confirm whether the problem is not theme-specific?

I've looked at the test case attached above but I'm not completely sure as to what exactly is the problem there. Are you saying that on Windows the selection in the combo box changes using the arrow keys while it doesn't on OpenSuSE? I tested on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 and it doesn't change with the arrow keys for me too. This could possibly be the default behavior of GTK+ but it could also be a bug in SWT or GTK+. In any case, the behavior on RedHat Linux should have been the same as on Ubuntu and OpenSuSE then.
Re: Dropdown issue in table column [message #1201071 is a reply to message #1125491] Thu, 21 November 2013 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gerin Jacob is currently offline Gerin JacobFriend
GTK+ version in OpenSuSE is 1.2.10 where as RedHat has 2.10.4.
I saw in http://www.eclipse.org/swt/faq.php#gtkstartup that Eclipse/SWT 3.0.x - 3.5.x needs GTK+ 2.2.1 and its dependencies.
After installing the higher version, OpenSuSE seems to have both GTK+ versions. Now if I run my Eclipse RCP app, how can I force it to use higher version of GTK+
Re: Dropdown issue in table column [message #1216316 is a reply to message #1201071] Thu, 28 November 2013 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GTK+ 1.x is very old and is not recommended to be used any more. The currently supported minimum version of GTK+ with Eclipse is 2.10 and it is recommended that you upgrade to using a more recent version of Eclipse like 4.2.2 or 4.3.

With regards to choosing a specific version of GTK+ to be used by Eclipse, it usually uses the library that is found in the standard system library paths. You can set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to the lib folder of the specific GTK+ version before launching Eclipse to force it to use that particular version.
Re: Dropdown issue in table column [message #1224439 is a reply to message #1216316] Thu, 26 December 2013 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
index.php/fa/17128/0/

I leveraged -Djava.library.path=/etc/gtk-2.0 parameter in .ini file of eclipse application such that it can set appropriate GTK version that is desired for application to work correctly. I did not see any change in the application for the issue reported but noticed messages as shown in attachment.

Similar message comes when I execute the application without these parameter but SWT code is 5393 instead of 5332.

Any advice here would help on next steps.

• Attachment: error.png
    (Size: 22.58KB, Downloaded 973 times)

[Updated on: Thu, 26 December 2013 19:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Dropdown issue in table column [message #1226743 is a reply to message #1224439] Thu, 02 January 2014 15:07 Go to previous message
You need to export the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable before launching eclipse (or your application built on eclipse) and set its value to the path of the lib folder which contains the GTK 2.x libraries (.so files). Make sure GTK 1.x and 2.x libraries are installed in different locations.
Previous Topic:How to make and save a screenshot of my gui application
Next Topic:Own widget
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:34:42 GMT 2024