Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Xtext in RCP Application
Xtext in RCP Application [message #1117668] Thu, 26 September 2013 17:35 Go to next message
Alan DW is currently offline Alan DWFriend
Hello everyone,

a while ago I was discussing an Xtext problem with Christian in this thread. In a nutshell, I want to gather all DSL files in a project and export their Ecore Model as XMI, but I had some problems with "xtextLink" instances showing up in the output XMI. Thanks to Christians help, I was able to sort that problem out and the plug-in works correctly now.

Now I am facing the same problem again in a sligthly different setting. I want to create a full Eclipse RCP application that uses my plugin. And the code which worked so well when executed directly via "Run As -> Eclipse Application" fails miserably (with "xtextLink" instances in the output XMI) when I include it in my *.product file and try to run it from there (the *very* same code, no changes involved at all!).

Is there a set of "essential must-have plug-ins" that are required for Xtext in RCP applications? I have eliminated all other sources of error, it must be the dependency management that is somehow erroneous and causes this behaviour. And yes, I did use "add required plug-ins". The Xtext-generated editor works perfectly in my RCP application, it is just the "xtextLink"s that give me headaches once again. My guess would be that some Xtext initialization is not done in the RCP application.

I have attached the *.product file to this post. My DSL in question is "at.qe.txture.archdsl". I also attached the platform target definition (if it is of any use here at all).

I'd be glad for any hints, also if there is some tutorial or "common pitfalls" blog somewhere about Xtext and Eclipse RCP that I missed in my Google search I'd be happy to read it! I've encountered a couple of threads in this forum, but they were rather old (about 2011)...

Thanks,

Alan
Re: Xtext in RCP Application [message #1117719 is a reply to message #1117668] Thu, 26 September 2013 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
Hi,

if the editor works fine i have no idea what could cause this.
please make sure

- you dont call any standalonesetups
- you dont have any warnings on the build.properties of your xtext project
- make sure the model project in the exported rcp has xtext nature, you have build automatically on and the project is built.
- how do you call your stuff / transformation?

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Xtext in RCP Application [message #1117840 is a reply to message #1117719] Thu, 26 September 2013 21:31 Go to previous message
Alan DW is currently offline Alan DWFriend
Hello Christian,

yeah for some reason I always get the weirdest errors, I seem to have a talent for that Wink

Your check list totally nailed it. I had a warning in the build.properties file of the language "ui" project - the "xtend-gen" folder was missing in the build. Maybe this is due to my source code versioning system or some other source of error, I don't know (I never removed it on purpose from the build that is all I can say).

But it finally works now in my "production environment" - which is great and a HUGE relief for me Very Happy

Thank you very much!

Alan
Previous Topic:Formatter adds line breaks
Next Topic:Couldn't find the mandatory library 'org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.lib' 2.4.0 or higher on the project's c
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:54:36 GMT 2024