Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Mylyn » Are (e)git change sets supported in Mylyn
Are (e)git change sets supported in Mylyn [message #1116535] Wed, 25 September 2013 15:14 Go to next message
Alex Piggott is currently offline Alex PiggottFriend

I have Kepler set up with egit (3.0.3; including team provider) and Mylyn (+all non SDK extensions, 3.9.1/1.1.1), and Atlassian connector (3.0.Cool

Everything works fine except that change sets never appear. (Eg I activate a task, change some code that is git-controlled (via egit)

The Mylyn documentation section on change sets (eg http://wiki.eclipse.org/Mylyn_User_Guide#Task-focused_Change_Sets) only specifically mentions change set support for CVS and SVN (but appears to be slightly out of date).

Are change sets supported and if not, is that something that is on the roadmap, or does git preclude that for some crazy git-related reason?

If they are supported, any ideas what I might be doing wrong? (I checked vs the steps here: http://help.eclipse.org/kepler/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.mylyn.help.ui%2FMylyn%2FFAQ%2FTeam-Support.html&resultof=%22task%22%20%22change%22%20%22chang%22%20%22set%22%20%22mylyn%22%20)

Many thanks for any help anyone can provide, even if it's a "nope change sets not supported" or "yep I use them with egit, you're doing something wrong"!

Alex
Re: Are (e)git change sets supported in Mylyn [message #1122485 is a reply to message #1116535] Tue, 01 October 2013 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tomasz Zarna is currently offline Tomasz ZarnaFriend
Hi Alex,

I must admit I have never used change sets in EGit. Also I don't remember last time I opened the Sync view. So I may not be the best person to answer youe question.

Have you tried creating a change set manually, do you see it in the Sync view for your git repo? I remember sync'ing in EGit to be an experimental feature, so flipping your question I would first check if this works in EGit (without Mylyn involved).

Let me know what you found out.

Cheers,
Re: Are (e)git change sets supported in Mylyn [message #1129735 is a reply to message #1122485] Tue, 08 October 2013 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam Davis is currently offline Sam DavisFriend
Unfortunately, change sets are not supported for Git. I agree that they would be useful though. I encourage you to open a bug under EGit/Mylyn.

Sam
Re: Are (e)git change sets supported in Mylyn [message #1148769 is a reply to message #1116535] Mon, 21 October 2013 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just revisited this, thanks for the replies.

Sync in egit works fine, as far as I can tell. (There isn't really any reason to use it if you don't use change sets, so I haven't played with it beyond confirming it works)

I'll create an issue if I can find the Mylyn, it's not a big deal - in theory you should be working one issue/change set per branch so a change set should be equal to the set of modified files in a repo anyway (and cross-repo issues are badly supported in lots of other ways) - but it would be good to note that they aren't supported in the documentation Smile
Re: Are (e)git change sets supported in Mylyn [message #1148798 is a reply to message #1148769] Mon, 21 October 2013 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found an existing bug in the Mylyn/egit issue tracker and linked that back to here: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=413507

In addition I added a documentation issue here: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=420014
Re: Are (e)git change sets supported in Mylyn [message #1197045 is a reply to message #1148769] Tue, 19 November 2013 18:30 Go to previous message
Sam Davis is currently offline Sam DavisFriend
Alex Piggott wrote on Mon, 21 October 2013 14:39
in theory you should be working one issue/change set per branch

Well, switching branches can be quite expensive (e.g. you need to restart anything you are debugging), and a lot of the time there is no need to develop non-conflicting changes on separate branches, so I think it would be quite useful to be able to have multiple change sets on a branch, and some support for converting change sets to branches and vice versa.
Previous Topic:Adding attachment programmatically
Next Topic:Authentication via Kerberos?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:49:23 GMT 2024