Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » I would like some help...
I would like some help... [message #1113855] Sat, 21 September 2013 21:12 Go to next message
Cat Trotter is currently offline Cat TrotterFriend
Okay, so I have a really good idea for an Android game, but I don't know how to code. I'm not sure where to post, so I hope it's okay if I just post it here (since I am a newcomer to Eclipse).

Anyways, I thought up this cool idea, and saw this site where it teaches you how to make Android games (starting from the very basics on how to use Eclipse and start with Java). I got through Unit 1 in a day, and I'm very excited that I learned a lot. But, there are several units, and I'm exhausted after finishing the first one (I'll get to the others, don't worry). Thing is, I'm pretty sure the units/tutorials end after making a certain type of game, and the game I want to make is basically text-based...so it'll be a lot different then ones that have a person moving in them and such.

What I was wondering was, while I'm learning the very basics of Java and SDK, maybe there's someone out there who already knows it and is willing to help me make my game? They'll be the coder, and I'll be the writer of the story (and I might be able to look at some of the code and know what's going on and learn from it...maybe). Where would I find someone who would help? IS there anyone who would help (without me paying them like $10,000)? Text-based games are popular, and the game I'm thinking of creating would be different...it would be like Kingdom of Loathing (where you get turns each day to spend "adventuring", but everything is in text). We could make some money off of this, I know we could.

People might say, "Well, I'm a coder, why would I need your help?" I'm a really good writer. I've been writing short stories, and "books" all my life. I'm also a musician (and a music major), so I could try to compose music for the background. I really want to do this, but if no one helps me, it'll take me a long time to learn all the code necessary to code the game (especially since I'm in school).

So...where should I look for help? Or maybe you might want to help? At least you read through my whole post, so that counts for something, haha. Thanks for reading, and have an amazing day! =)

-Cat
Re: I would like some help... [message #1114017 is a reply to message #1113855] Sun, 22 September 2013 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 09/21/2013 04:05 PM, Cat Trotter wrote:
> Okay, so I have a really good idea for an Android game, but I don't know
> how to code. I'm not sure where to post, so I hope it's okay if I just
> post it here (since I am a newcomer to Eclipse).
>
> [snip]
http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/225513/
Re: I would like some help... [message #1114061 is a reply to message #1114017] Sun, 22 September 2013 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cat Trotter is currently offline Cat TrotterFriend
Russell Bateman wrote on Sat, 21 September 2013 23:43
On 09/21/2013 04:05 PM, Cat Trotter wrote:
> Okay, so I have a really good idea for an Android game, but I don't know
> how to code. I'm not sure where to post, so I hope it's okay if I just
> post it here (since I am a newcomer to Eclipse).
>
> [snip]
http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/225513/

Oh. I saw that, and I have asked on Android forums, but can't I ask for help here as well? I mean...to code the game, you have to use Eclipse, and you use some Java...right? But if I'm in the wrong, I guess this thread can be removed and my account deleted, as that's the only thing I needed help with. Thanks for the help, though!
Re: I would like some help... [message #1114468 is a reply to message #1114061] Sun, 22 September 2013 19:51 Go to previous message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 09/21/2013 11:19 PM, Cat Trotter wrote:
> Russell Bateman wrote on Sat, 21 September 2013 23:43
>> On 09/21/2013 04:05 PM, Cat Trotter wrote:
>> > Okay, so I have a really good idea for an Android game, but I don't
>> know
>> > how to code. I'm not sure where to post, so I hope it's okay if I just
>> > post it here (since I am a newcomer to Eclipse).
>> >
>> > [snip]
>> http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/225513/
>
>
> Oh. I saw that, and I have asked on Android forums, but can't I ask for
> help here as well? I mean...to code the game, you have to use Eclipse,
> and you use some Java...right? But if I'm in the wrong, I guess this
> thread can be removed and my account deleted, as that's the only thing I
> needed help with. Thanks for the help, though!

This isn't about right or wrong, it's about where you'll get the best
help, or any help at all. That's why we have this sticky post (and
others) at the top of the forum. This isn't an Android forum. Android
has chosen Eclipse as its IDE. Many other forms of development have
chosen Eclipse as their IDE. Eclipse "isn't" doesn't represent those
forms of development. It's a little like asking your county roads
department what the best car to buy is or how to fix it.
Previous Topic:Eclipse Core Expressions - use of "with" in visibleWhen
Next Topic:Can't post image links in forum posts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 01:08:47 GMT 2024