Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse keep's re-indexing and kills my computer? [MAC OS X](Eclipse has a weird bug where it keeps trying to scan everything in my computer, and it ends up freezing Eclipse and then my entire computer. Any chance of some help?)
Eclipse keep's re-indexing and kills my computer? [MAC OS X] [message #1113288] Fri, 20 September 2013 23:10 Go to next message
Eamon Rea is currently offline Eamon ReaFriend
So, this started about 5 and a half months ago. Eclipse says "Re-indexing (fully) Repository eamonn" ('eamonn' is my username on my Mac (/Users/eamonn/)). This leads me to believe that Eclipse, for some reason, sees my computer as a repository, and is trying to fill it. Now, I have a 500GB HDD. It's more or less full(about 20GB free). So, obviously, it's going to do something bad. First, my laptop's fans start to go CRAZY!!!! I mean, you don't know the half of it!!! If I don't cancel it, my laptop freezes and almost becomes too hot to touch. Seriously! I have to force shut it down by holding in the power button. This only occurs after about 10-15 minutes of leaving it to Re-Index. I asked on StackExchange and got banned for asking an irrelevant question.

I've tried fiddling with a lot of settings in Mylen and EGIT and things like that, and it still happens. You googled a solution? I've probably tried it. Gamedev.net had no idea how to fix it. 2 people replied, 1 person saying it's never happened to them before. So, this is kind of annoying me.

So, now you know about the problem, but how in the heck do you reproduce it? Well, I'm not sure. When I edit a filesystem(add files, remove files, etc), save a file, install a plugin, start/restart Eclipse, and basically do ANYTHING in Eclipse, it does it. It brings up a little message at the bottom in the "Processes" bar. It took me a few weeks to find out what was going on.

So, I looked it up some more, and saw this "Mylen" and "EGIT" thing was causing the problem, and decided to try to uninstall them. Yeah... I tried that 10 times. This is my 11th time re-installing Eclipse because Eclipse kept crashing on startup for some reason.

No one else seems to be having this issue. I'm using the absolute latest Eclipse. I just downloaded it about 30 minutes ago. It's called "Kelper" I believe.

Thanks!
Re: Eclipse keep's re-indexing and kills my computer? [MAC OS X] [message #1114030 is a reply to message #1113288] Sun, 22 September 2013 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Which versions of Eclipse, Egit, and Mylyn are you using? Have you tried updating to the latest releases?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Eclipse keep's re-indexing and kills my computer? [MAC OS X] [message #1115084 is a reply to message #1114030] Mon, 23 September 2013 16:31 Go to previous message
Eamon Rea is currently offline Eamon ReaFriend
Nitin Dahyabhai wrote on Sun, 22 September 2013 00:06
Which versions of Eclipse, Egit, and Mylyn are you using? Have you tried updating to the latest releases?

As I said, I have downloaded the latest Eclipse. It's called Kelper I believe. It's whatever version of EGit/Mylyn comes with Eclipse Kelper(the latest one).

I have since discovered deleting the metadata folder fixes it.... until I add another project to my workspace.

Thanks!
Previous Topic:lowResourcesConnections attribut doesn't work with jetty8.1.11
Next Topic:Web Application from Apache Buildr
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 23:05:42 GMT 2024