Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EGL Development Tools » egl future
egl future [message #1110837] Tue, 17 September 2013 11:43 Go to next message
danilo pifferetti is currently offline danilo pifferettiFriend
Hello,
I see that the blog is stopped from January 27 and the same forum is stopped for more than a month.
I ask you of the forum if you think that the project has future or is dead.
I hope that the development resume, edt is fantastic and I find that, compared to rbd, it is easier to use.
Greetings to all!

I apologize for any error, the message was written in Italian and translated by google translator.
Re: egl future [message #1112329 is a reply to message #1110837] Thu, 19 September 2013 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trond Einar Nilsen is currently offline Trond Einar NilsenFriend
Hi Danilo,

I am pretty sure the project is dead, but I regret it as I too found it very good.
I fear that rbd do not have a great future either.

My personal opinion now is that one tool concepts like this one do not manage to adopt new technologies fast enough.

/Trond

Re: egl future [message #1143081 is a reply to message #1112329] Fri, 18 October 2013 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Margolis is currently offline Ben MargolisFriend
perhaps edt is only waiting for a push from places unknown.

it does seem to be a good idea.

Re: egl future [message #1219393 is a reply to message #1110837] Tue, 03 December 2013 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Huntsman is currently offline Ben HuntsmanFriend
So, I found this recently and went through the tutorials before I fully realized there was no activity on the project any longer. What happened that caused it to die? It seems to me that it's a pretty excellent piece of technology, and makes throwing together web sites easier than many other tools I've seen.

Is there any reason why IBM's involvement is a strict requirement? 0.8.2 appears to work pretty well, and at this point, who cares if it's not 100% compatible with RBD? It's still a pretty awesome piece of technology...

Re: egl future [message #1219888 is a reply to message #1219393] Fri, 06 December 2013 14:31 Go to previous message
Richard Moulton is currently offline Richard MoultonFriend
You can find some background on IBM's involvement and exit see the following ...

http://xeglblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/edt-possible-future-scenarios-no.html

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=77777777-0000-0000-0000-000014944826&ps=25

In my humble opinion EDT is an excellant tool to develop web applications. IBM took their implementation of EGL (from RBD and EGLCE) and (again, in my opinion) made it better. The syntax and configuration in EDT certainly makes more sense to me than it does in RBD and EGLCE, it seems more intuitive.

My understanding is that with EDT they put a lot of emphasis on making the tooling extensible, allowing it to generate not only html, javascript and java but whatever language plugins users wanted to develop.

They also just, only just, started the implementation of OO by the introduction of classes, if anyone knows how this works in its current form I'd love to know.

My gut feeling is that there just wasn't enough outside interest in EDT for IBM to continue to invest. Is IBM's involvement a strict requirement? No, I don't think so, but I do think it would take a serious commitment by a company or group of developers to move it forward. I also believe (only guesswork) that if there was some serious interest in moving the tooling forward then IBM would consider re-engaging with the project.

All we need is for someone to show some serious interest. Anyone?

Richard
Previous Topic:Sending Email
Next Topic:EGL Deployment
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:57:59 GMT 2024