Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Subversive » Outgoing changes but nothing to commit?(committing invisible changes on a file results in nothing different)
Outgoing changes but nothing to commit? [message #1108528] Sat, 14 September 2013 01:05 Go to next message
Darren Cook is currently offline Darren CookFriend
Hi,
Installed Subversive under Flash Builder 4.7 (Eclipse 3.7.1.r37) on OSX and it works fine.

Except now I'm getting strange behavior on some files. I make a change, and commit it. I see the committed revision appear in the console. But in the Navigator it still shows there are outgoing changes. If I compare it with the repository, it highlights the first line but there are no visible changes. If I mouse over the Local History colorbar on the left edge of the first line, it looks like two extra (nonprinting) chars appear there at the beginning of the line....a BOM perhaps?

Committing again results in an instantaneous commit (took 00:00.007) with no revision number...I'm pretty sure it didn't even try to communicate with the SVN server. I can't get the file to not show the outgoing changes indicator, so it's getting hard to tell what files I really have changed and which I haven't. I can revert them....but I don't want to accidentally revert a file with real changes in it someday.

I can't find any options in SVN preferences to ignore/consider whitespace, nor anything in Eclipse about setting it to use a BOM or not (utf-8 is the file format)...any other ideas how I can resolve this?

Re: Outgoing changes but nothing to commit? [message #1114405 is a reply to message #1108528] Sun, 22 September 2013 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexander Gurov is currently offline Alexander GurovFriend
Hello Darren,

As I understood the situation - you really do have an issue with the UTF-8 BOM marker at the beginning of the file (since compare shows you there is a difference at first line). On the other hand it is pretty strange that the real change (BOM) doesn't reflect into an actual commit, since Subversion should view any actual change as the reason to perform an actual commit.

It is very hard to give you any advice or help in any way, since there is not enough information on the situation. So, I would like to suggest to move this discussion to the Eclipse.org Bugzilla (you can open a bug report there on the Subversive project) and provide additional information:
1) Subversive version
2) Subversive Connectors version
3) Which connector is used (SVN Kit or JavaHL) and if it is the second one, then native libraries version
4) It would be good if you could provide a sample file before modification, after modification and after commit, so that we can compare them to find about actual differences and try to reproduce this behaviour outside of FlexBuilder (it should allow to check if the problem is related to SVN support itself or the problem more complex and could have something to do with FlexBuilder).

Thank you in advance.
Re: Outgoing changes but nothing to commit? [message #1116038 is a reply to message #1114405] Tue, 24 September 2013 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Darren Cook is currently offline Darren CookFriend
Hi,
Thanks for the reply! I was about to fill out a bug report and was able to reproduce the issue. So I started with a new file for a clean test and committed it. The commit worked fine, however the Navigator pane never updated the SVN icon to reflect the change; my original file also showed no change. Eclipse's Refresh command had no effect.

I quit Flash Builder, re-opened it and the icons updated to show the correct status! So now it seems like it's simply the Subversive cache not updating correctly after a commit?

I went to Preferences > Team > SVN > Performance and unchecked Compute deep outgoing state and Caclulate precise Team Menu enablements so I could uncheck Enable SVN statuses cache. Tested again: the icon did not update. However after a Refresh command it updated to the correct status.

So it seems that could be my work-around....set preferences as specified and Refresh as needed. However the way my project is structured I need to compute deep outgoing state to tell what's been worked on, yet this option seems mutually exclusive to the SVN statuses cache.

Any insight with this new information?

Seems like I may wind up reporting the bug tomorrow....and also a new feature request. Smile

Interestingly I did not have either problem with Subclipse, so I expect the issues are solvable...

~Darren
Re: Outgoing changes but nothing to commit? [message #1127586 is a reply to message #1116038] Sun, 06 October 2013 21:22 Go to previous message
Alexander Gurov is currently offline Alexander GurovFriend
It is a strange one. Since it does show correct state after restart it means that something is definitely was left unrefreshed after commit. On the other hand refresh is always performed after commit and that is how it works for years. What I think is possible - is some exception during refresh, that prevents it from going smoothly. Is there any exceptions logged anywhere after commit is performed?
Previous Topic:SVN on Kepler??
Next Topic:Nested repositories problems with subversive plug-in
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:46:35 GMT 2024