Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Cannot run app (Unable to run an Android app I am working on in Eclipse. "The connection to adb is down")
Cannot run app [message #1108440] Fri, 13 September 2013 21:41 Go to next message
Tully K is currently offline Tully KFriend
Hello,

I am a novice android app developer. Over a year ago I published three basic apps and recently decided to have a go again. Since then I had re-installed Windows on my laptop and so had to download Eclipse and the relevant extra files to develop for Android, then I imported the old projects, and started a new one. Not long into the new project (emulations were working fine at this point) I noticed that I was running Eclipse direct from the zipped folder it downloaded in. I thought it would be good practice to unzip the folder and so I did so.

After this when I tried to run the application in an emulator I would get the following errors (where Txxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is the project name):

[2013-09-13 22:20:14 - Txxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] The connection to adb is down, and a severe error has occured.
[2013-09-13 22:20:14 - Txxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] You must restart adb and Eclipse.
[2013-09-13 22:20:14 - Txxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Please ensure that adb is correctly located at 'C:\Users\Tully\android-sdk\platform-tools\adb.exe' and can be executed.

I've done a fair amount of googling on this issue but most of the suggested fixes do not work for me or the OP of the forum topics I read.

I have tried deleting Eclipse and downloading it again. I have also tried deleted the Anroid SDKs and re-installing them. But I just get the same errors.

There's nothing else wrong I've noticed in Eclipse.

Hopefully this is just a simple fix and I'm missing something, it certainly seems like it should be like that. Thank you in advance for any help, really appreciate it!
Re: Cannot run app [message #1110059 is a reply to message #1108440] Mon, 16 September 2013 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shankha banerjee is currently offline shankha banerjeeFriend
Hi,
To me it looks like a issue with adb.
Did you try restarting the adb server as stated.
I googled and found the following:

sudo adb kill-server && sudo adb start-server.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16364748/must-do-adb-kill-server-and-start-server-everytime-to-recognize-android-device-i

Yo should have sudo privilege o your machine.

Thanks
Re: Cannot run app [message #1110492 is a reply to message #1110059] Tue, 17 September 2013 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello shankha and thank you for your reply.

I've had a look at your link, it's not one I've seen before although lot of what I have read in the past does recommend killing and then starting adb.

Unfortunately I have not got this to work for me.

Thanks again
Re: Cannot run app [message #1118507 is a reply to message #1110492] Fri, 27 September 2013 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is getting really frustrating now, I've deleted all related files and re-downloaded them twice, the second time choosing the Java EDT specifically as opposed to what I believe is the regular eclipse. Same error on both!

Is there anybody who understands the connection between eclipse and adb, who can help with troubleshooting this. The kill server command doesn't seem to be working!

Thank you very much
Re: Cannot run app [message #1118639 is a reply to message #1118507] Fri, 27 September 2013 16:10 Go to previous message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
The Android development tools are not provided by or supported by Eclipse. This forum does not have Android developers frequenting it so you aren't likely to get any answers to Android questions. Your best chance of getting an answer is to find a forum frequented by Android developers who understand what you are talking about.
Previous Topic:JDT Annotation @Nullable not treated as default
Next Topic:How to configure security access for web service client in Eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 07:50:23 GMT 2024