Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » UML2 » general question about UML Testing Profile
icon5.gif  general question about UML Testing Profile [message #1102077] Thu, 05 September 2013 10:24 Go to next message
Federico Toledo is currently offline Federico ToledoFriend
I have some doubts about how to represent certain examples (provided in the UML-TP specification) with UML.
I don't know if this forum is the one that fits better... (tell me if not!).

According to the standard specification, a "validation Action" (in UML-TP) is a "Call operation Action" (in UML).
Most of the examples in utp.omg.org show that you can put a "validation action" in a lifeline of a Sequence Diagram, but according to UML I understand that you cannot put actions there, right? So, how should/could I do?

On the other hand, most of the examples, specifically, those refering to time concepts, show that it is possible to start a timer, stop a timer, and add a timeout.
I see that there is an interface "Timer" with start, stop and read operations.
Also, there are Actions, like "StartTimerAction" and "StopTimerAction" that are "Call Operation Action".
Again, it is not possible to add this to a sequence diagram...how can I represent time concepts in a sequence diagram?

Thank you in advance!
Re: general question about UML Testing Profile [message #1102179 is a reply to message #1102077] Thu, 05 September 2013 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe I is currently offline Joe IFriend
Federico Toledo wrote on Thu, 05 September 2013 06:24

Again, it is not possible to add this to a sequence diagram...how can I represent time concepts in a sequence diagram?

It's possible to add a ActionExecutionSpecification to the sequence diagram and set the action to a CallOperationAction, which represents the timer call.

However, I prefer to use a property realizing the timer interface (it must be, according to the spec, a property of TestContext or TestComponent) as a lifeline and call an operation like start() with a message call. In my opinion, this should be equivalent to calling a operation with CallOperationAction.

HTH
Re: general question about UML Testing Profile [message #1108245 is a reply to message #1102179] Fri, 13 September 2013 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi! thank you for your answer.

I am not being able to associate a ActionExecutionSpecification to the sequence diagram. Where should I put it? in the time line I guess... but ... I was not able.
Also I have tried with BehaviorExecutionSpecification, but I cannot associate any kind of Action to it.

Thank you again in advance!
Re: general question about UML Testing Profile [message #1108268 is a reply to message #1108245] Fri, 13 September 2013 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With Papyrus:
.) Add Action Execution Specification (from Palette )to Lifeline
.) Right Click on Interaction -> newChild -> CallOperationAction
.) ActionExecutionSpecification -> Properties -> Action -> choose your CallOperationAction
The Stereotypes StartTimerAction and so on can be applied on CallOperationAction

When you code it, its the same just add the ActionExecutionSpecification to the CoveredBys of your lifeline and set the enclosing interaction of the specification.
Re: general question about UML Testing Profile [message #1122206 is a reply to message #1108268] Tue, 01 October 2013 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey JoeI, thanks your response and indications.

I am not using Papyrus because I was not able to load a UML file in order to build diagrams with automaticaly generated models. So, after to try with many tools, the only one that allowed me to do that, including sequence diagrams, was Rational Software Architect ...

I do not know if it is a bug of the tool, or if I do not know how to do it, or if there is one of the tools that it is not "respecting" the UML metamodel, but what I see in RSA is:

- I cannot add Action Execution Specifications to life lines.
- I cannot add Call Operation Actions to Interactions

Any clue, idea, suggestion, thought? Smile

thank you for your time
Re: general question about UML Testing Profile [message #1122234 is a reply to message #1122206] Tue, 01 October 2013 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what I have instead of "action execution specification" is "behavior execution specification". Did you mean that kind of elements? If that's the case, BehaviorExecutionSpecification does not have an Action property....

On the other hand, considering another option that you mentioned some messages before

Quote:
However, I prefer to use a property realizing the timer interface (it must be, according to the spec, a property of TestContext or TestComponent) as a lifeline and call an operation like start() with a message call. In my opinion, this should be equivalent to calling a operation with CallOperationAction.

Seems that I am only allowed to invoke methods on the Test Component, and not in its attributes. I mean, if I put an attribute "Timer" in the Test Component, I am not being able to put a message on the Test Component that invokes the Timer's operations.
Re: general question about UML Testing Profile [message #1122252 is a reply to message #1122234] Tue, 01 October 2013 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, I'm not familiar with Rational Software Architect... But I'm sure they also have forums Wink

Maybe you try to construct a simple example in Papyrus, to see what you want.

Federico Toledo wrote on Tue, 01 October 2013 06:56
what I have instead of "action execution specification" is "behavior execution specification". Did you mean that kind of elements? If that's the case, BehaviorExecutionSpecification does not have an Action property....

No, it must be an ActionExecutionSpecification.

Federico Toledo wrote on Tue, 01 October 2013 06:56

On the other hand, considering another option that you mentioned some messages before

Quote:

Seems that I am only allowed to invoke methods on the Test Component, and not in its attributes. I mean, if I put an attribute "Timer" in the Test Component, I am not being able to put a message on the Test Component that invokes the Timer's operations.

But you should be able to add a lifeline to the sequence diagram, which represents the Timer property.
Re: general question about UML Testing Profile [message #1122361 is a reply to message #1122252] Tue, 01 October 2013 13:38 Go to previous message
Hello again!

Quote:
Sorry, I'm not familiar with Rational Software Architect... But I'm sure they also have forums

not that good as this one Smile

Quote:
But you should be able to add a lifeline to the sequence diagram, which represents the Timer property.

Ok, that's an option!

Thank you!
May you have a nice day!
Previous Topic:Thread-safe UML CacheAdapter?
Next Topic:Sequence diagram: two messages with executed at the same time
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:57:36 GMT 2024