Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » BIRT Large Dataset Performance(Performance goes down with large datsets)
BIRT Large Dataset Performance [message #1095908] Tue, 27 August 2013 17:54 Go to next message
Eclipse Beginner is currently offline Eclipse BeginnerFriend
Hi,

I am using BIRT to dump some data down in reports. It works good upto some size of datasets, and as the dataset grows the performance goes down. I have a dataset with ~30K rows that are handed over to BIRT for grouping and displaying. It just seem to take hours and hours to process this, what can I possibly do to improve this ?
Re: BIRT Large Dataset Performance [message #1096491 is a reply to message #1095908] Wed, 28 August 2013 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

What version of BIRT are you using? What is your design like? Are you using embedded tables or other elements in your groups? Also, what is your data like? Many columns as well, with long data? Also, what is your dataSet type? If you can attach your report design, maybe I can take a look to see if there is anything I see you could do to speed it up.

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Re: BIRT Large Dataset Performance [message #1098226 is a reply to message #1096491] Fri, 30 August 2013 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Michael,
Am using BIRT 4.3 and the design is using oracle as data source. It does have tables and many columns. One thing I checked - with 3.7 (xls) it takes a few minutes but with 4.3 (xlsx) it runs for hours. It has a couple of tables and then embedded table in each of these - each bound to the same dataset.

Regarding the design - is there a way to send it to you direct (would prefer that) or do I have to upload it here only ?

[Updated on: Fri, 30 August 2013 20:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: BIRT Large Dataset Performance [message #1101073 is a reply to message #1098226] Wed, 04 September 2013 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Sorry for the delay. You can send it to mwilliams.actuate at gmail.

Michael

Re: BIRT Large Dataset Performance [message #1103892 is a reply to message #1101073] Sat, 07 September 2013 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Michael, you should have it now.
Re: BIRT Large Dataset Performance [message #1106222 is a reply to message #1103892] Tue, 10 September 2013 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The thing I see is the embedded table toward the bottom of the report that is bound to the same dataSet as the table it's embedded into. There are no filters or dataSet parameters limiting the returned values. This seems to be somewhere where you'd be running into an issue. You could separate the query for this data to another dataSet and use dataSet parameter binding to pass a value from the outer table to the inner query to only return the needed results.

Michael

Re: BIRT Large Dataset Performance [message #1111242 is a reply to message #1106222] Wed, 18 September 2013 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Michael, I was not checking work for a few days... am back now and tried after removing the nested/embedded table. It does give some improvement but not to the extent of considerable notice.
With these embedded tables the report runs for ~8 to 10 hrs and once I remove these it still goes on for ~6 hrs. Do you think there is something else I should be looking for. I have a hunch, every cell contains "if" statements, does that matter ?
Re: BIRT Large Dataset Performance [message #1111243 is a reply to message #1111242] Wed, 18 September 2013 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another thing, going back to what you suggested, I will try that now but need one help - how do I link these 2 datasets using parameter ? I can define a new parameter but linking 2 dataset is something new for me.. help please !!
Re: BIRT Large Dataset Performance [message #1111796 is a reply to message #1111243] Wed, 18 September 2013 18:58 Go to previous message

Well, your two tables are made from the same dataSet. If you simply create a query that returns the results you want in the embedded table, you can create a dataSet parameter by using the '?' marker in the query. For example, select * from table where field = ?. Now, if you select the embedded table that is bound to this dataSet and go to the binding tab, you'll see a button for dataset parameter binding. If you select this, you can pass the group value from the outer table to the inner table to limit the inner query results.

Michael

Previous Topic:creating new table rows in script
Next Topic:Does BIRT 2.6.1 support IE 9
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 06:43:34 GMT 2024