Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Eclipse loops when launching tests. How to investigate?(Blocked: The user operation is waiting for "Building workspace" to complete)
icon5.gif  Eclipse loops when launching tests. How to investigate? [message #1094944] Mon, 26 August 2013 12:21 Go to next message
Marco Antonio is currently offline Marco AntonioFriend
One of the java projects I'm working on is causing me trouble.
If it's open in the workspace, then whenever I want to run a JUnit test I have to wait a lot of time for some "Building workspace" operation. The time to wait is random, ranging from a few seconds to a few minutes (!). The dialog is like the one in the screenshot below:
index.php/fa/16040/0/
The "Classpath Dependency Validator" operations keep on disappearing an appearing again, pretty fast (about once per second).

In years of working with Eclipse, I've never experienced anything like this. The workspace log file shows nothing at build time.

Do you know what could be causing this behavior? Or how I could investigate its cause?

[Updated on: Mon, 26 August 2013 13:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse loops when launching tests. How to investigate? [message #1094995 is a reply to message #1094944] Mon, 26 August 2013 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
I can't see your screenshot, but the first thing to check would be: which builders are involved in "Building workspace"?
You'll find these in your project properties under "Builders".
Re: Eclipse loops when launching tests. How to investigate? [message #1095028 is a reply to message #1094995] Mon, 26 August 2013 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry for the screenshot, I fixed it now.

My builders are:

• Faceted Project Validation Builder
  • Java Builder
  • Validation
  • Maven Project Builder

Re: Eclipse loops when launching tests. How to investigate? [message #1182842 is a reply to message #1095028] Tue, 12 November 2013 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried to debug my Eclipse using an instance of Eclipse Standard.

Having a breakpoint in org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager, I could slow down the build process and see what gets rebuilt over and over again.

The problem seems to be with a maven module (the project is a maven project with several modules) that's using build-helper-maven-plugin to generate a file in the target directory.

I also noticed that if I try to build the module from the command line, with mvn compile, I get this message all the time:

[INFO] --- maven-compiler-plugin:3.1:compile (default-compile) @ myModule ---
[INFO] Changes detected - recompiling the module!
[INFO] Compiling 2 source files to path/to/myModule/target/classes

Running mvn with the --debug flag showed that one of the two files is the one that is generated (and the other one is using it)

I'm still not sure how to fix this, though.

For the moment, I keep the "Build Automatically" option unchecked.
Re: Eclipse loops when launching tests. How to investigate? [message #1186342 is a reply to message #1182842] Thu, 14 November 2013 16:48 Go to previous message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
When debugging, one first step could be to enable (in the launch configuration): Tracing > org.eclipse.jdt.core > debug/builder
Also org.eclipse.core.resources has a few relevant trace options.

I recently debugged a similar issue in https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=417735 which contains a few hints (but didn't bring up a full explanation of the bug).

HTH,
Stephan
Previous Topic:Property view not usable
Next Topic:EJB Project create window is not found in Juno Version: 4.2.2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 13:24:32 GMT 2024