Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » TCP connection with Python in PyDev/Eclipse and a VM(I can't make a TCP connection running a Python (PyDev) project in Eclipse to a VM, but can if run from the command line)
TCP connection with Python in PyDev/Eclipse and a VM [message #1090955] Tue, 20 August 2013 22:12 Go to next message
thor farrish is currently offline thor farrishFriend
I'm having problems with establishing a TCP connection running Eclipse Helios SR2, PyDev 2.7.3 and VMWare player 2.5.5

The scenario is I spin up a VM on my 64bit Windows machine that's waiting for a TCP connection on a port. I load Eclipse/project, and run it..... using WireShark I
can see the start of the 3-way handshake, but after SYN-ACK/ACK, the connection doesn't complete.

If I run my program (unedited) from the command line, the socket<s> connect and data begins to flow.

Of course, if I write a simple python script to make a TCP connection to the VM from Eclipse, it works swimmingly..

This could be a VM problem, or it could be a Windows problem, or it could be a Python problem, or it could be an Eclipse problem. I'm at a loss as to how to narrow it down.

I know: _way_ too many moving parts. Surprised Any suggestions on how to track this down would be greatly appreciated.
Re: TCP connection with Python in PyDev/Eclipse and a VM [message #1090971 is a reply to message #1090955] Tue, 20 August 2013 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

This sounds like a VM problem, possibly with firewalling inside the running VM, not anything to do with Eclipse.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: TCP connection with Python in PyDev/Eclipse and a VM [message #1091399 is a reply to message #1090971] Wed, 21 August 2013 12:56 Go to previous message
thor farrish is currently offline thor farrishFriend
Thanks, Nitin!

I'd go with that (firewall/VM), except for two things:

pcap dumps show proper tcp packets with either Eclipse-launched or command-line- launched connect attempts (src/dst IP/MAC addrs are both the same).

unmmodified (app/VM) application _does_ connect when launched from command line, but not when launched from within Eclipse.

I guess I'll just keep poking around. But thanks for the suggestion!

Previous Topic:Home & End buttons not working
Next Topic:Homebrew formula for installing Eclipse in Mac OS X
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 14:31:15 GMT 2024