Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse Process Manager (Stardust) » Roadmap(Roadmap)
Roadmap [message #1090788] Tue, 20 August 2013 16:44 Go to next message
David MalkovskyFriend
Looking at this page http://wiki.eclipse.org/Stardust/Download I see:

* Stardust 1.0 SR1 (coming in September 2013)
* Stardust 1.0 SR2 (coming in February 2014)

Is there any documentation about what will be included in SR1 and SR2? I can't seem to find any information about the changes.

I am particularly interested if there any source build process changes in the works especially related to importing all the projects into Eclipse.

Thanks
Re: Roadmap [message #1094751 is a reply to message #1090788] Mon, 26 August 2013 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Emsbach is currently offline Robert EmsbachFriend

David,

we do not plan any bigger changes to the build process in in Stardust SR1. The project plan for SR1 can be found here: https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/soa.stardust/releases/1.1.0

In general release planning is documentes for each eclipse project under http://projects.eclipse.org/ .

For SR2 we are still in planning. What concrete changes to the build process would you suggest?

Best regards

Robert
Re: Roadmap [message #1095188 is a reply to message #1094751] Mon, 26 August 2013 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David MalkovskyFriend
My company is currently evaluating alternative workflow engines and really like the feature set provided by Stardust. In my team three different members have followed the Source code (http://wiki.eclipse.org/Stardust/Source_Code) instructions and have not been able to successfully import all the projects into Eclipse. The maven build step is successful but when importing into Eclipse there are numerous errors (missing dependencies, etc.). We have posted some of our issues and have read issues posted by others. I have tried regenerating the Eclipse project files with maven and that doesn't work either (errors during the process, projects skipped, etc.) It is proving difficult to continue justifying our investigation given the seeming fragility of the development platform.

My suggestion is to pick a single build system. It appears that the current environment is a mixture of ant, ivy, and maven. In addition there appears to be a large amount of tight coupling of the projects. It feels unnatural to have to pull all the repositories in order to work on a particular part of the system. One option might be to have a project/sub-project hierarchy instead of the current flat structure of repositories.
Re: Roadmap [message #1096232 is a reply to message #1095188] Wed, 28 August 2013 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

David,

I am glad you like Stardust's feature set and are considering it for your projects. I am currently going through the build process again to validate it and see if I encounter the same issues you reported and if any improvements to the documentation should be made. Please keep posting those in the forum so we can help to resolve them and fix the build if required.

Stardust is a mature product with code base that was developed over 12+ years. Over time the build tooling and processes have changed repeatedly. With limited time to make it into the Eclipse Kepler builds we had to find the right balance between required adjustments, improvements and maintainability (e.g. affordable syncs between open source and commercial code base). The complexity of the current build process resulting from dependencies between modules and the mixed tooling is indeed a weakness. We have started analysis and planning and want to make changes when we have completed Kepler SR1. The changes have to be incremental so we do not jeopardize the SR2 builds. Obviously you and your team would be more than welcome to contribute improvements to the build process or any other parts of Stardust.

The ability to build Stardust yourself seems to be an important aspect of your evaluation. Do you think that the official releases will not fulfill your requirements or is this a rather a consideration in case you need to fix something urgently?

Best regards

Rob
Re: Roadmap [message #1101533 is a reply to message #1096232] Wed, 04 September 2013 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Krzysztof Kaczkowski is currently offline Krzysztof KaczkowskiFriend
Especially the big problem is the lack of possibilities to build with the help of maven Sad
Re: Roadmap [message #1101912 is a reply to message #1101533] Thu, 05 September 2013 05:02 Go to previous message

Krzysztof, I am sure you know the build is Maven-based. Do you mean exclusively with Maven?

Regards

Rob
Previous Topic:Deployment error: JDBC URL must not be empty
Next Topic:Applications in Simulation Mode
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:34:37 GMT 2024