Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Packages pushed to repository don't download
Packages pushed to repository don't download [message #1087466] Thu, 15 August 2013 17:40 Go to next message
George Clapp is currently offline George ClappFriend
I'm new to egit and working with my first repository. I'm developing software on two machines: one Windows 7 (local) and the other Ubuntu 13.04 (remote). I created a GitHub account and repository to synchronize between the two machines. I discovered the repository was missing packages, so I added them to the local Windows 7 repository and uploaded it to GitHub. On the remote Ubuntu machine, I used "team->fetch from upstream" to update. However, the added packages don't appear on the Ubuntu machine. I tried to download again, but egit says everything is up-to-date.
I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks.
Re: Packages pushed to repository don't download [message #1088059 is a reply to message #1087466] Fri, 16 August 2013 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
What exactly do you mean by "package" ?
Whatever you mean, you are aware that 'fetch' won't make any changes in your working files, right? The fetch operation just copies commits from one repository to another.
Re: Packages pushed to repository don't download [message #1088129 is a reply to message #1088059] Fri, 16 August 2013 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Many thanks for your email. I'm a beginner with egit. What I mean by "package" is an Eclipse java package, as in "Package Explorer." I did not know that the fetch operation just copies commits. I thought that it updated the working files, too. How do I update my working files?
Thanks.
Re: Packages pushed to repository don't download [message #1089846 is a reply to message #1088129] Mon, 19 August 2013 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthew Webber is currently offline Matthew WebberFriend
The "Pull" operation is what you want - it does a "Fetch" (update your local clone) followed by a "Merge" of the newly received commits (from the applicable branch) into your working directory.
Matthew
Re: Packages pushed to repository don't download [message #1089993 is a reply to message #1089846] Mon, 19 August 2013 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
For completeness : pull can do either fetch + merge or fetch+rebase. Merge is the default, personally I usually use rebase, which you can set in the clone's local configuration. EGit lets you choose merge or rebase in the branch creation dialog, which is pretty handy.

Pull can also just do the merge or rebase, as configured, without a fetch, This is what happens when the branch you're tracking is local rather than remote. Again, EGit has good support for local tracking, unless you're using a fairly old version.
Re: Packages pushed to repository don't download [message #1090010 is a reply to message #1089846] Mon, 19 August 2013 15:29 Go to previous message
Got it! Many thanks for the help.
Previous Topic:Request: make available relevant Team features in Maven module projects
Next Topic:How to get list of pulled changes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 17:57:23 GMT 2024