Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » NatTable » State saving is buggy...(... at least when you use | (vertical bar) in a filter string)
State saving is buggy... [message #1086543] Wed, 14 August 2013 10:29 Go to next message
Andreas Saremba is currently offline Andreas SarembaFriend
NatTable state saving works great most of the time, but it contains a well hidden bug: When you use the vertical bar in a filter string, that string is persisted correctly but cannot be read back. The reason is the simple fact that saveState/loadState use this character as a separator. (Look into the code; it appears in several source files as a literal string or literal character, not even as a constant defined in one central place as it would be good programming practice. This applies to both the latest Sourceforge release as well as the current Nebula release.)

You may ask why anybody should use | in a filter string. The answer is that this is the alternation (or) operator in regular expressions, and I have a real-world use case where I need exactly that.

Why do I post this message in this forum instead of writing a Bugzilla entry? Presently, my primary interest is not the Nebula NatTable version but the Sourceforge 2.3.2 version; I need it for a plugin that runs in a commercial application which will probably not be ported to an Eclipse 4.x RCP release. So my real question is: Does anybody feel responsible for bug-fixes in the latest Sourceforge NatTable code, and is there any place where I can share my fixes with others who are also forced (condemned?) to use this particular code base?

May I add the general remark that it is a deplorable phenomenon in the Open Source scene that there is little awareness of the needs of business application developers. They are not always free to jump to the latest and greatest code base, and while the transfer of NatTable to Eclipse Nebula is generally a good thing, the termination of Sourceforge NatTable is a very unpleasant side-effect.
Re: State saving is buggy... [message #1086560 is a reply to message #1086543] Wed, 14 August 2013 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dirk Fauth is currently offline Dirk FauthFriend
Hi,

there are several statements that I don't really understand.

You say that you are not able to switch to the Nebula NatTable release, because the commercial application might not be ported to Eclipse 4. I really don't understand why you think that Nebula NatTable is tight connected to Eclipse 4? I also support a commercial application based on Eclipse 3.7 and switched to use Nebula NatTable. There are no issues because there is no such dependency. NatTable is a SWT control and you don't even need Eclipse to run it, which you can see in our examples.

Which brings me to the next statement. You think we are not aware of business application needs? Well what do you think we are? Some geeks hiding in the shadows doing fancy stuff? NatTable is a project that was created out of business needs, it is used in a lot of business applications and all of the developers in NatTable use it for business applications. A switch to the "latest and greatest" code base is indeed recommended, because we fixed a lot of bugs and added several enhancements since then. All of them business related.

Said that, there is no support for Sourceforge NatTable! There are no known issues in switching to the Nebula NatTable version!

Greez,
Dirk
Re: State saving is buggy... [message #1087137 is a reply to message #1086560] Thu, 15 August 2013 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andreas Saremba is currently offline Andreas SarembaFriend
Thank you for your clarification, Dirk. In fact, my statements were based on the premature assumption that Nebula NatTable, being part of the Kepler Release Train, might be tied to the Eclipse 4.x platform in some way. Please accept my apologies; I did not intend to offend anybody who invests his time and energy to provide a useful and highly competent service to the public.

When I'm finished integrating Nebula NatTable into my plugin I shall file a Bugzilla entry for the problem that was the actual reason for my forum entry.
Re: State saving is buggy... [message #1087173 is a reply to message #1087137] Thu, 15 August 2013 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

we are not even part of the Kepler Release Train. Smile We just released in a similar time slot.

Yes please open a ticket for this issue. I already take a quick look at it. To solve it we might need to implement masking of the pipe character for state saving. Otherwise we would loose backwards compatibility.

Greez,
Dirk
Re: State saving is buggy... [message #1110938 is a reply to message #1087173] Tue, 17 September 2013 14:30 Go to previous message
Thanks for creating the ticket.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=416595

I fixed this by replacing the pipe character in a filter with °~° for persistence of the state. This way it is possible to save and load the pipe character correctly by keeping the backwards compatibility with already existing saved states.
Previous Topic:How to work with custom painters in NatTable?
Next Topic:remove data when table is sorted
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:54:39 GMT 2024