Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » makefile generated by eclipse rebuild from command line after updating code not working(after code update, running make on the command line doesn't rebuild, need to do building from eclipse)
makefile generated by eclipse rebuild from command line after updating code not working [message #1086150] Tue, 13 August 2013 22:13
John Smith is currently offline John SmithFriend
Hi, I am copying this question I already asked on stackoverflow (no reply so far)(stackoverflow.com/questions/18213461/run-makefile-generated-by-eclipse-from-command-line-after-updating-code-not-work):

I'm running

eclipse juno Service Release 2 Build id: 20130225-0426 with this CDT config: dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1414360/CDTconfig.png

and this OS:

(truncated output of uname -a): Linux 3.2.0-51-generic #77-Ubuntu SMP x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I create a HelloWorld C++ project as follows:

File->New->C++ Project
Project type: Executable Empty Project
Toolchains: Cross GCC
Configurations: Debug and Release checked
Then I create a C++ source file Main.cpp that contains hello world code.

I can then compile using the hammer icon. I choose to compile in Release mode. The program runs fine (inside eclipse or at the command line) and prints "hello". If I modify the code to print out "hello there", I can recompile with the hammer and the program still runs fine and prints out "hello there".

However, if I modify the code to print out "hello there you", go to the Release directory (/home/user/workspace/HelloWorld/Release) and type make, I get this message: make: Nothing to be done for 'Main.d'.

There is a file called makefile in the Release directory, but it's not behaving like a normal makefile. I would expect this makefile to be such that when there is a change in the code and you type make, the code gets actually recompiled. If I type make clean followed by make, the code gets recompiled but this is inefficient for larger projects.

Do you know why the makefile generated by eclipse is behaving this way ? Thanks very much.
Previous Topic:Unable to debug large executables
Next Topic:Indexing strategy configuration
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 14:12:32 GMT 2024