Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » WindowBuilder » CustomObjectInfo or JavaInfo(Is it a good design use JavaInfo as model for non-java source code?)
CustomObjectInfo or JavaInfo [message #1086088] Tue, 13 August 2013 20:03 Go to next message
Giscard Faria is currently offline Giscard FariaFriend
Hi folks,

We have plans to add a new proprietary UI Toolkit to WindowBuilder, basically we will have a DesignPage wich is bound to a ".frm" file (text file), also we shall generate some java source. However the BiDirectional relation is between the Design and the ".frm" file.

Looking through the code, I could see that JavaInfo is used extensively. However I could notice that for XWT it was designed a XmlObjectInfo.

My question is: In my case, where I do use a ".frm" file and a java source file, is it a better design create a JavaFormObjectInfo? Or can I go with the JavaInfo straight way?

Thanks.

Re: CustomObjectInfo or JavaInfo [message #1086117 is a reply to message #1086088] Tue, 13 August 2013 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Attached there is a file describing what we are trying to do.

Some frequently questions:

- Why do not use the form.java itself instead of a form text file?
The UI toolkit was designed "couple" years ago, and that is how it works.
- Why the components are in java and not a "xml-based" file format?
The UI toolkit was designed to have the information in the source code.

index.php/fa/15906/0/
  • Attachment: WB.PNG
    (Size: 73.64KB, Downloaded 445 times)
Re: CustomObjectInfo or JavaInfo [message #1086984 is a reply to message #1086088] Thu, 15 August 2013 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Konstantin Scheglov is currently offline Konstantin ScheglovFriend
I think you need something like it is done in GWT Designer (I think it is also open source).

Basically, you need to create separate hierarchy from Object, like FormObjectInfo with its own mechanism to parse, update properties, etc. Something like it is done for XmlObjectInfo, but with different implementation.

So, may be best approach is to take XML plugins, clone them and massage.
This will also solve your problem with reparsing on FRM file change.
You will have your own mechanisms for this.

As for Java file updates, you may do this manually or create only org.eclipse.wb.internal.core.utils.ast.AstEditor to update it.

Konstantin Scheglov,
Google, Inc.
Re: CustomObjectInfo or JavaInfo [message #1087275 is a reply to message #1086088] Thu, 15 August 2013 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Konstantin Scheglov,

We did some tests and really decided to go with WindowBuilder in our project. However we are a bit concerned about take the wrong design approach due to lack of deep knowledge on the framework.

Do your guys have any interest on a commercial consulting? It could be via skype, just couple of meetings to help us on how to take the right directions and prevent a future rework.

We've also included in our budget a documentation about extending WindowBuilder, I believe that is a good return to community which we would like to make part of, even though we will have to maintain our product.

Regards.
Re: CustomObjectInfo or JavaInfo [message #1088405 is a reply to message #1087275] Sat, 17 August 2013 02:25 Go to previous message
Konstantin Scheglov is currently offline Konstantin ScheglovFriend
I'm very busy on my job, so I don't have time right now.
But may be my friend, co-author will have time.
Write me to MyFirstName.LastName@gmail.com to discuss.

Konstantin Scheglov,
Google, Inc.
Previous Topic:Creating New UI Toolkit
Next Topic:WindowBuilder Contract Work
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:28:51 GMT 2024