Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Forever Indexing(Eclipse indexing problem)
Forever Indexing [message #1078258] Fri, 02 August 2013 19:15 Go to next message
Peter McMillan is currently offline Peter McMillanFriend
Hi all,

I am having an issue with Eclipse.

The issue is to do with indexing. I am developing in Java and am using Eclipse Java EE
V3.3.2v201201121600 64bit.

Every now and then, Eclipse decides it wants to index and validate links, even though I believe I have disabled this in the preferences. Because I am dealing with large projects, this can take well over an hour to complete. While this is running, everything else slows way down. I can start my websphere server but can't use the app until indexing finishes.

I can cancel the indexing but it instantly starts again. It also starts using up a huge amount of RAM. I have recently had to give Eclipse 6GB of RAM just to get through this indexing.

This can be very stressful, especially when you are trying to get some work done.

Can anyone offer any advice on this issue?

Thanks.
Re: Forever Indexing [message #1078270 is a reply to message #1078258] Fri, 02 August 2013 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Eclipse doesn't provide the ability to "index and validate links" that I know of. Where are you disabling this in the preferences?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Forever Indexing [message #1078290 is a reply to message #1078270] Fri, 02 August 2013 20:25 Go to previous message
Peter McMillan is currently offline Peter McMillanFriend
Hi Nitin,

Thanks for the reply. I have suspended all validators under Validation preferences and have also messed with some settings under Web -> links.

Looking at the progress background tasks there are two tasks running:
1/ Validation
2/ System: Indexing links

These seem like they should be background tasks but they slow everything down when I am working. Some of my team mates have had similar problems and they said that re-installing can fix it, but it seems to be hit and miss.
Previous Topic:How to sequence timerexecs in display swt
Next Topic:How does eclipse display java bytecode?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:25:33 GMT 2024