Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Problem Installing Eclipse IDE for C++ developers on Mac Os 10.6.8(Problem with Eclipse IDE for C++ for Mac set up)
Problem Installing Eclipse IDE for C++ developers on Mac Os 10.6.8 [message #1077224] Thu, 01 August 2013 11:53 Go to next message
Paolo Cucchi is currently offline Paolo CucchiFriend
Hello,

I am a new user and new to the world of programming too. I have downloaded and installed without problem Eclipse IDE for Java Developers. Now I cannot install Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers. I was following the same steps I did for the previous one, but I get this error message from the application which is trying to unzip the file I downloaded from Eclipse website: "unable to unarchive".

Some info:
- I am using a Mac OS 10.6.8.
- when I downloaded the file, Mac suggested automatically to change its extension from .tar to .tar.gz and I did it (but I also changed the extension, see below)
- the application which is trying to unarchive the downloaded file is Archive Utility, and it worked fine with the downloaded file for Eclipse IDE for Java Developers.
- I tried to unarchive the downloaded file for C++ with both extensions (as you may see on the pictures encl.) .tar and .tar.gz but without success.

I thank you for your kind help.

Best,

Paolo
Re: Problem Installing Eclipse IDE for C++ developers on Mac Os 10.6.8 [message #1077315 is a reply to message #1077224] Thu, 01 August 2013 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Denis Roy is currently offline Denis RoyFriend

I don't know why it's called .tar.tar.tar but that may have something to do with it. Try downloading it without changing the name.

Denis Roy
Eclipse Webmaster -- webmaster@eclipse.org
Re: Problem Installing Eclipse IDE for C++ developers on Mac Os 10.6.8 [message #1077316 is a reply to message #1077224] Thu, 01 August 2013 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 8/1/2013 6:58 AM, Paolo Cucchi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a new user and new to the world of programming too. I have downloaded and installed without problem Eclipse IDE for Java Developers. Now I cannot install Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers. I was following the same steps I did for the previous one, but I get this error message from the application which is trying to unzip the file I downloaded from Eclipse website: "unable to unarchive".
>
> Some info:
> - I am using a Mac OS 10.6.8.
> - when I downloaded the file, Mac suggested automatically to change its extension from .tar to .tar.gz and I did it (but I also changed the extension, see below)
> - the application which is trying to unarchive the downloaded file is Archive Utility, and it worked fine with the downloaded file for Eclipse IDE for Java Developers.
> - I tried to unarchive the downloaded file for C++ with both extensions (as you may see on the pictures encl.) .tar and .tar.gz but without success.
>
> I thank you for your kind help.
>
> Best,
>
> Paolo

I'm not a Macintosh guy, but the name of this file should be:

eclipse-cpp-kepler-R-macosx-cocoa-x86_64.tar.gz

I don't know what confusion the mucked name would create on a Mac, but I
suspect that if you merely rename the file to this, you could fix it.

On a Linux command line, which would work on the Mac too, but maybe it's
not best practice, you need only to do this in a console window in the
downloads folder:

$ mv eclipse-cpp-kepler-R-macosx-cocoa-x86_64.tar.tar.tar.gz \
eclipse-cpp-kepler-R-macosx-cocoa-x86_64.tar.gz
$ tar -zxf eclipse-cpp-kepler-R-macosx-cocoa-x86_64.tar.gz

....and you're done. You'll get a new subdirectory named eclipse, just as
you did for Eclipse IDE for Java Developers. If you want to move it
alongside that software, you'll need to give it a different name.

Note that you can launch your existing Eclipse (Java) and use Help ->
Install New Software, then click Available Software Sites, then type cdt
in place of "type filter text" and install the download proposed. That
way, you've got both Java and C/C++ support in one package. I don't
personally care for this (I prefer separate packages when I'm not mixing
development anyway), but most developers like it that way.

Best of luck and come back here if you get stuck.
Re: Problem Installing Eclipse IDE for C++ developers on Mac Os 10.6.8 [message #1077354 is a reply to message #1077316] Thu, 01 August 2013 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you Russel and Denis for your replies.

I am still struggling. To make it short:

- .tar.gz file: I tried to unarchive it through the console with different commands, but all of them failed. In particular, the command tar -xzf filename worked good until quite the end when it got an error in the final moment of unzipping

- I finally was able to unarchive it with Stuffit Expander but the content seems missing something (where is the file to click to launch the program for example?). I attach a screenshot of the unzipped content of it.

- I tried to install new software on my working version of Eclipse IDE for Java developers but after clicking Available Software Sites, then type cdt in place of "type filter text" I get no proposals for a download (see pictures) I tried also to manually insert paths like http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/technology/epp/downloads/release/kepler/R/eclipse-cpp-kepler-R-macosx-cocoa-x86_64.tar.gz but no success either.

Thank you.

Paolo

PS I add a screenshot of error unzipping it on the console window

[Updated on: Thu, 01 August 2013 15:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problem Installing Eclipse IDE for C++ developers on Mac Os 10.6.8 [message #1077376 is a reply to message #1077354] Thu, 01 August 2013 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SOLVED!

I downloaded the version of Eclipse for C++ Developers 32 bit instead of 64 bit, and it worked! Now I have two Eclipses installed, one for Java and one for C++.

For the records: the Java version I previously installed is at 64 bit (so why C++ at 64 bit was not working?)

Thank you for your precious time. I really appreciate your help.

Best,

Paolo
Re: Problem Installing Eclipse IDE for C++ developers on Mac Os 10.6.8 [message #1077382 is a reply to message #1077354] Thu, 01 August 2013 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 8/1/2013 9:30 AM, Paolo Cucchi wrote:
> Thank you Russel and Denis for your replies.
>
> I am still struggling. To make it short:
> [snip]

- Retry downloading from eclipse.org? Perhaps the package got corrupted
on the way or during the renaming mess?

- Don't know Stuffit.

- I tried this from Indigo and it seemed to work. I run Kepler at home,
but I'm not there. Then again, I gave up C after 25+ years and have
never actually used it in Eclipse, but this isn't about C yet.

Maybe it will require the Macintosh touch. There are a few Mac
responders so just sit tight. In the meantime, I would retry the whole
thing as if a Mac guy, then that failing, retry as if a Unix/Linux guy,
i.e.: download using browser to a subdirectory, opening a console window
and extracting in two steps just to make sure it really is a failure:

$ gunzip eclipse-cpp-kepler-R-macosx-cocoa-x86_64.tar.gz
$ tar -xf eclipse-cpp-kepler-R-macosx-cocoa-x86_64.tar

That failing, report back and some Mac guy may be around to help.

I'm a 30+ years Unix/Linux and occasional Windows guy. Sorry I'm not
helping.

Best of luck.

Russ
Re: Problem Installing Eclipse IDE for C++ developers on Mac Os 10.6.8 [message #1077521 is a reply to message #1077376] Thu, 01 August 2013 20:51 Go to previous message
Denis Roy is currently offline Denis RoyFriend

Paolo Cucchi wrote on Thu, 01 August 2013 12:05
SOLVED!

I downloaded the version of Eclipse for C++ Developers 32 bit instead of 64 bit, and it worked! Now I have two Eclipses installed, one for Java and one for C++.

I'm glad to hear it's working.

It is possible for you to have Java and C++ in only one Eclipse installation. Go to Help > Install New Software... then choose Work With: Kepler - http://download.eclipse.org/releases/kepler

Denis Roy
Eclipse Webmaster -- webmaster@eclipse.org
Previous Topic:Plugin/class reference in e4 application?
Next Topic:JGIT Pull NoHeadException
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:38:21 GMT 2024