Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » BPMN 2.0 Modeler » DefinitionalCollaboration not set(What is definitional collaboration anyway?)
DefinitionalCollaboration not set [message #1076556] Wed, 31 July 2013 15:17 Go to next message
Poissy B. is currently offline Poissy B.Friend
Hello all,

Using the BPMN20 API, I was trying to get a the collaboration object from a process object. There I came across the definitionalCollaboration reference that is supposed to return a Collaboration object, however the getDefinitionalCollaboration gets me a null. I am testing on a collaboration model created by the modeller.

I don't know exactly what the definitional collaboration should be. Could someone show me some light? (Google has been a no friend today...) . Here is the (cryptic) definition in the OMG specs:

Quote:

For Processes that interact with other Participants, a definitional Collaboration can be referenced by the Process. The definitional Collaboration specifies the Participants the Process interacts with, and more specifically, which individual service, Send or Receive Task, or Message Event, is connected to which Participant through Message Flows. The definitional Collaboration need not be displayed.
Additionally, the definitional Collaboration can be used to include Con- versation information within a Process.

Is it a derived object computed by analyzing message exchanges? Or should it be the main collaboration object containing the participant that references the process?

And my last question is, shouldn't this reference be set by the modeler?

Thanks!
Re: DefinitionalCollaboration not set [message #1076671 is a reply to message #1076556] Wed, 31 July 2013 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Brodt is currently offline Robert BrodtFriend

Seems like definitionalCollaboration should be a reference back to the grandparent Collaboration (or Choreography, GlobalChoreographyTask or GlobalConversation), although I don't understand the the part about "more specifically, which individual service, Send or Receive Task, or Message Event, is connected to which Participant through Message Flows" - that's a bit (a lot?) ambiguous.

And yes, I guess this should be set by the editor. Can you please file a bugzilla?
Re: DefinitionalCollaboration not set [message #1076678 is a reply to message #1076671] Wed, 31 July 2013 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was also confused by that exact part Smile I'm sending out couple of emails to BPMN experts at OMG to try to get a definitive answer. I'll keep you posted.

Note that the collaboration is not a grandparent but a sibling of the process, both contained by Definitions object.

Submitted bug #414163.

Thanks!

[Updated on: Wed, 31 July 2013 18:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: DefinitionalCollaboration not set [message #1076718 is a reply to message #1076678] Wed, 31 July 2013 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Cool, thanks.

grandparent, sibling? I guess from a BPMN2 model viewpoint they are siblings, but conceptually the relationship is more like collaboration/participant/process no?
Re: DefinitionalCollaboration not set [message #1076725 is a reply to message #1076718] Wed, 31 July 2013 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, according to the metamodel, the Participant is not the Process container. Both Processes and Collaboration are contained by the Definitions object, Participant is contained by Collaboration and references a Process. It seems they wanted that a Participant could have the option to change it's referenced Process, I don't know though how this is applied in real life. So in practice I totally agree with you.
Re: DefinitionalCollaboration not set [message #1076755 is a reply to message #1076725] Wed, 31 July 2013 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Right, as I said, "conceptually" the relationship is "sort of", "kind of" grandparent-grandchild Wink
And in fact, I've written the Outline Viewer to represent these as such:

http://content.screencast.com/users/rbrodt/folders/Jing/media/83c1ee17-84f9-4522-b114-1c6293d69ab6/2013-07-31_1437.png

Please keep us informed about what you find out from the OMG,
and thanks for filing that bugzilla!

[Updated on: Wed, 31 July 2013 20:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: DefinitionalCollaboration not set [message #1077426 is a reply to message #1076755] Thu, 01 August 2013 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Huh I didn't notice the outline was used Smile This is so cool!
Re: DefinitionalCollaboration not set [message #1078157 is a reply to message #1077426] Fri, 02 August 2013 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Yep. Still on my to-do list is basic editing from the outline view (copy/paste/delete, maybe create).
Re: DefinitionalCollaboration not set [message #1078178 is a reply to message #1078157] Fri, 02 August 2013 16:34 Go to previous message
Maybe also drag-n-drop of DataObjects (which would create a reference) Wink
Previous Topic:Survey
Next Topic:Splitting a big process into smaller ones
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 03:47:23 GMT 2024