Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Epsilon » model transformation with ETL
model transformation with ETL [message #1072218] Mon, 22 July 2013 10:24 Go to next message
Amin Rezaee is currently offline Amin RezaeeFriend

Hello All,

I am working on Model-Based Test generation from UML StateChart. I need to transform my statechart model into another statechart model. I decided to use ETL for this M2M transformation. I am beginner in Epsilon. I tried to use ETL and doing my transformation, but apparently this tool (ETL) does not support my UML diagram files format (.uml files). Is it true?
I want to know whether I can transform my .uml file to another one that supported by ETL (like ecore model) and do my transformation and after that transform output file to .uml file, or not? How? Do you have any solution?

Best Regards,
Amin
Re: model transformation with ETL [message #1072259 is a reply to message #1072218] Mon, 22 July 2013 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dimitris Kolovos is currently offline Dimitris KolovosFriend

Hi Amin,

ETL supports .uml files constructed using the tools provided by the Eclipse UML2 project [1] / Papyrus [2]. Could you please let me UML know which tool you're using?

Cheers,
Dimitris

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/?project=uml2
[2] http://www.eclipse.org/papyrus/
Re: model transformation with ETL [message #1072274 is a reply to message #1072259] Mon, 22 July 2013 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Dear Dimitris,

Thank you for your reply. I used topcased for creating UML class and statechart diagram. If I use papyrus, this problem will be solved?

Best Regards,
Amin
Re: model transformation with ETL [message #1072302 is a reply to message #1072274] Mon, 22 July 2013 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Amin,

Yes - using Papyrus should do the trick. I believe that UML models constructed with Topcased should also work but I'll have to check.

Cheers,
Dimitris

Re: model transformation with ETL [message #1072464 is a reply to message #1072302] Mon, 22 July 2013 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Dear Dimitris,

Please check this attached file.

Thank you,
Amin
Re: model transformation with ETL [message #1075487 is a reply to message #1072464] Mon, 29 July 2013 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Dear Dimitris,

I am wondering whether you check "ElevatorControl.uml" file or not?

Best Regards,
Amin
Re: model transformation with ETL [message #1075522 is a reply to message #1075487] Mon, 29 July 2013 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Amin,

Not yet I'm afraid. Topcased doesn't provide a distribution for Mac OS X and it can't be installed on the Kepler or Juno SR2 modelling distributions as the UML versions of the latter are newer than what Topcased requires (!!!). As such, to test I'll have to download an older version of Juno (or even Indigo) and try to setup Topcased on it - which may take a while.

Cheers,
Dimitris

[Updated on: Mon, 29 July 2013 15:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: model transformation with ETL [message #1075567 is a reply to message #1075522] Mon, 29 July 2013 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Dear Dimitris Kolovos,

It is true, and you need Eclipse ganymede.
I have one other question, too. How we use models which are produced by papyrus in ETL model transformation? How we can use uml meta model for transformation?

Thanks
Re: model transformation with ETL [message #1075610 is a reply to message #1075567] Mon, 29 July 2013 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Amin,

In Papyrus, each model is split across 3 files (.di/.notation/.uml). To use a Papyrus model in an ETL program you need to add a "UML Model" to your launch configuration and point it towards the .uml part.

Cheers,
Dimitris
Re: model transformation with ETL [message #1077503 is a reply to message #1075610] Thu, 01 August 2013 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Dear Dimitris,

Thank you for your reply.
I have one question about ETL:
Is it true that in source model if we have some elements that we do not have any rule and transformation for this, we must write some rule to copy theme in target model?
If yes, it is means that if we have one model that we want to transform only one special element of this, we need to write some others rule to copy another element from source model in target model??!!

Thanks

[Updated on: Thu, 01 August 2013 20:25]

Re: model transformation with ETL [message #1077855 is a reply to message #1077503] Fri, 02 August 2013 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Amin,

If your transformation is between 2 models conforming to the same metamodel and involves a lot of copying, I'd suggest having a look at Flock [1] instead.

Cheers,
Dimitris

[1] http://eclipse.org/epsilon/doc/flock/

Re: model transformation with ETL [message #1077991 is a reply to message #1077855] Fri, 02 August 2013 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Dear Dimitris,

Thanks, a lot. Yes, it is true that my transformation is between 2 models conforming to the same metamodel and involves a lot of copying.
Some of my friends suggest Epsilon wizard language (EWL), now I want to know what is the difference between EWL and Folk? You suggest me to use Folk?

Thanks,
Amin Rezaee
Re: model transformation with ETL [message #1077997 is a reply to message #1077991] Fri, 02 August 2013 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Amin,

Briefly, EWL targets interactive in-place model transformation while Flock is better suited for mapping transformations between models that conform to the same or different versions of the same metamodel. Flock sounds like a good match but I'd suggest having a look at the respective chapters of the Epsilon book [1] to see which one fits your case better.

Cheers,
Dimitris

[1] http://eclipse.org/epsilon/doc/book/
Re: model transformation with ETL [message #1078000 is a reply to message #1077997] Fri, 02 August 2013 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Dear Dimitris,

Thanks, a lot.

Best Regards,
Amin Rezaee
Re: model transformation with ETL [message #1079339 is a reply to message #1078000] Sun, 04 August 2013 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Dear Dimitris,

I studied EWl and Flock. I think that I can use both of them, but it seems that EWL is more fit with my work.
Now, I need to traverse model element in UML State machine and find one special type of element that have some properties and update this element and transitions of it. I want to know that I need what kind of project? I must use plugin project (I must integrate my ewl model transformation with my java project that contains of some other plugins)?
Also, I have another problem with my EWL module: In my module, I can not see UML metamodel structure (see model element like states, transitions, guard of transitions,... and I can not manipulate them...). DO I need to import some library? Where I can find these library? Do I need add some plugins in my plugin project dependency? What plugins?
Note: I use Eclipse Kepler

Best Regards,
Amin
Re: model transformation with ETL [message #1080635 is a reply to message #1079339] Tue, 06 August 2013 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Amin,

The example under [1] should help you get started with EWL.

> Also, I have another problem with my EWL module: In my module, I can not see UML metamodel structure ...

To browse the UML metamodel you can use the EPackage Registry view [2].

Cheers,
Dimitris

[1] http://dev.eclipse.org/svnroot/modeling/org.eclipse.epsilon/trunk/examples/org.eclipse.epsilon.examples.ewl.ecore/
[2] http://eclipse.org/epsilon/doc/articles/epackage-registry-view/
Re: model transformation with ETL [message #1080976 is a reply to message #1080635] Tue, 06 August 2013 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Dear Dimitris,

Thank you for your reply. Is there any way which we can see UML element structure with using ctrl+space in ewl file? We can only use Epackage registry view? Do we need to import any library?

Cheer,
Amin

[Updated on: Tue, 06 August 2013 16:30]

Re: model transformation with ETL [message #1081321 is a reply to message #1080976] Wed, 07 August 2013 04:50 Go to previous message
Dimitrios Kolovos is currently offline Dimitrios KolovosFriend
Hi Amin,

Epsilon languages are dynamically typed and as such the supporting editors
do not provide support for type-aware code completion but this is something
we're working on.

Cheers,
Dimitris

Amin Rezaee <forums-noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Dimitris,
>
> Thank you for your reply. Is there any way which we can see UMl element
> structure with using ctrl+space in ewl file? We can only use Epackage
> registry view? Do we need to import any library?
>
> Cheer,
> Amin
Previous Topic:[Eugenia] Problem with recursive phantom objects
Next Topic:Run the tree2Graph example
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:36:56 GMT 2024