Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » Scout server and rap client in one product(Has anyone done this?)
Scout server and rap client in one product [message #1069850] Tue, 16 July 2013 18:18 Go to next message
Neil Corbet is currently offline Neil CorbetFriend
Hello All,

Has anyone combined the scout server side and rap client as one deploy-able product? It seems that the jetty being used could support both in the same container, but I am a little uncertain on which application to use or if you would need to create a new one that combines both.

I would like to deploy them as a single eclipse product as I already have a server side application using CXF. This is already running as a headless RCP application and exposes its services to other applications. We are replacing our existing RAP client with a scout based one. I have integrated the restful services into the scout server project using CXF DOSGI. It is my hope that I could bundle scout server and the rap client together as another headless rcp application.

Has anyone done something similar?

Thanks,
Neil
Re: Scout server and rap client in one product [message #1070641 is a reply to message #1069850] Thu, 18 July 2013 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Hi Neil

Once we started developing a web solution for Scout applications we had to decide either to put the RAP Client (which runs basically on a web server) together with the server in one WAR (Eclipse Runtime) or put a second WAR beside with the RAP client. Our decision was second in order of experiences out of huge projects. For security reason usually web clients and servers are not allowed to run in the same security zones therefore as well not on the same web container. So far some background information.
To combine the two web applications (server and RAP client) into one there is a lot of effort to do also in Scout internal parts. Therefore I recommend to keep the two parts separated. But it should be no problem to run the RAP client and the Scout server WAR in one web container. That is what we do for less complex applications where no security zones are defined.

Hope that helped.

-andreas
Re: Scout server and rap client in one product [message #1070666 is a reply to message #1070641] Thu, 18 July 2013 12:29 Go to previous message
Neil Corbet is currently offline Neil CorbetFriend
Andreas,

Yes, that does help. Since I would need to pursue code changes to the Scout internals, I probably wont pursue it.

I did get them to combine and all bundles started and ran. I even got it to log in, but where I ran into trouble was getting the RAP application to show up. I suspected it had something to do with serving the resources. I had a broken image link displayed and when I tried to access that resource through the browser I would get 403 errors.

Thanks again,
Neil

[Updated on: Thu, 18 July 2013 12:51]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Set Font on GroupBox Expandable
Next Topic:AbstractTool[Form]Button doesn't show
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:54:39 GMT 2024