Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » WindowBuilder » GWT Designer crashes on Ubuntu(GWT Designer crashes on recent releases of Ubuntu)
GWT Designer crashes on Ubuntu [message #1068949] Sun, 14 July 2013 21:08 Go to next message
Michael Prentice is currently offline Michael PrenticeFriend
There have been a number of posts on the GPE issue tracker, GWT Designer issue tracker, GWT issue tracker, and Google Web Toolkit Google Group over the last 7+ months about issues with WindowBuilder crashing Eclipse on Ubuntu.

There is a fix available which is mentioned here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/google-web-toolkit/WEwSlnqSDZM

The issue was reported in April 2013 and a fix posted by the reporter the next day on the GWT Designer issue tracker: https://code.google.com/p/gwt-designer/issues/detail?id=4

I've tested this and it works great for Eclipse 4.2.2, Oracle Java 7, GPE, and Ubuntu 13.04 x64.

Does this fix need to go into the GPE or WindowBuilder? Is the issue reported in the right location (it is still New and untouched/unaccepted)?

Is there another issue tracker for GWT Designer since the existing one appears to be abandoned?

Michael Prentice
GDG Space Coast

[Updated on: Sun, 14 July 2013 22:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: WindowBuilder crashes on Ubuntu [message #1068969 is a reply to message #1068949] Sun, 14 July 2013 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
The issue and the patch you reference appear to be for GWT Designer rather than WindowBuilder. In fact, it looks like a patch to the code that GWTD used to interact with WebKit. I have not been involved with the GPE project or GWT Designer for the last 18 months or so. I don't look at either the GPE or GWT issue tracker so I can't comment on its status. GWTD, GPE and GWT are all open source, so getting a patch applied or becoming a committer should be doable there.

If you have a patch for WindowBuilder itself, we would be happy to look at it and apply it. We have not had any problems with WB under Ubuntu, but would be happy to look at test cases that specifically show WB crashing under Ubuntu (using either SWT Designer or Swing Designer).
Re: WindowBuilder crashes on Ubuntu [message #1068983 is a reply to message #1068969] Sun, 14 July 2013 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Prentice is currently offline Michael PrenticeFriend
That is great information. Thank you very much!

I've updated the title. I hadn't heard that the GPE and GWTD were made open source. I will look into it! There are a number of simple issues with them that would be nice to fix.

Two of the other posts that I referred to this thread were questions about GWTD and not WindowBuilder (quite separate entities now I suppose).

Michael Prentice
GDG Space Coast

[Updated on: Sun, 14 July 2013 23:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: WindowBuilder crashes on Ubuntu [message #1069021 is a reply to message #1068983] Mon, 15 July 2013 01:29 Go to previous message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
GWTD is based on WB, but it also includes a lot of its own special code to handle GWT rendering in different environments. Unfortunately, that means it has to do some deep dark voodoo at the OS level to get rendered images of the GWT widgets. Under Linux, that usually means interacting with WebKit and the various Linux window managers. Those often change in unpredictable and non-backward compatible ways, so new versions of various Linux distros can easily "break" GWTD. Windows, in contrast, has very stable APIs and does not present a problem from release to release.
Previous Topic:linux problem
Next Topic:Problem with multiple operating System in swing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 14:27:20 GMT 2024