Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » BPMN 2.0 Modeler » extending the palette
extending the palette [message #1066008] Fri, 28 June 2013 19:50 Go to next message
mhammad makni is currently offline mhammad makniFriend
hi;
I'm student in sfax university sfax, Tunisia.
I was looking for an open sourse bpmn editor to implement our research ad I'm interested to yours.
I want to extend the palette of bpmn2 with special type of boundary event(catch and throw event) beside a special type of connection.
I saw the tutoriel of the costoum task extension and I was motivated to use this plugin because there is a note says that the extension is allowed for all base element.
so what should I do to implement my shapes.

thank you. Razz
Re: extending the palette [message #1066016 is a reply to message #1066008] Fri, 28 June 2013 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Brodt is currently offline Robert BrodtFriend

Hi Mhammad,

Try following the tutorial video, but substitute all references to Association with BoundaryEvent. That should get you started. Let me know if you run into problems.

Bob
Re: extending the palette [message #1066051 is a reply to message #1066016] Sat, 29 June 2013 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi;
I cloned the metamodel from http://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/bpmn2 and the project from http://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/bpmn2-modeler/org.eclipse.bpmn2-modeler.git but it does not seems like in the tutorial, beside it contain some errors.
so should I clone these projects from other links Rolling Eyes
thanks Smile
Re: extending the palette [message #1066059 is a reply to message #1066051] Sat, 29 June 2013 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I'm guessing the errors are because of unresolved dependencies. Try installing all of the editor features into your eclipse development workbench from the nightly update site - this will install all of the dependencies you'll need to build and run the product. Then simply import all of the plugin source into your development workbench and you should be able to launch the editor. If you use EGit, you can clone the git repository and have it available in your eclipse workbench - do the "Import existing projects" from the EGit repository browser to get all of the plugin projects.

The plugin from the video is in the "examples" directory and is called org.eclipse.bpmn2.modeler.examples.customtask.

HTH,
Bob
Re: extending the palette [message #1066254 is a reply to message #1066008] Mon, 01 July 2013 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi;
sorry for buthring you. Embarrassed
I did every thing you told me(I installed the rest of feature) but it does not go well.
so whatshould I do? Crying or Very Sad
thanks for your patient.
Re: extending the palette [message #1066272 is a reply to message #1066254] Mon, 01 July 2013 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Can you give me some more details about exactly WHAT is not going well? Are there still missing dependencies? Compile errors? Runtime errors?

[Updated on: Mon, 01 July 2013 20:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: extending the palette [message #1066379 is a reply to message #1066272] Tue, 02 July 2013 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi;
frist of all I want to note that the metamodel project does not seems like the one in the tutorial: there are a sevral project (edit, editor, feature ...) not one project like in the tutorial.
the errors are shown in 4 projects:
org.eclipse.bpmn2.modeler.core
org.eclipse.bpmn2.modeler.runtime.example
org.eclipse.bpmn2.modeler.runtime.jboss.jbpm5
org.eclipse.bpmn2.modeler.ui
and there are a Compile errors.
I doubt that it is a compatibility problem, in other words, I think that the update site used does not match with the cloned projects.
so please could you give me a link approved to deal with the extension.
thank you for your generosity.
Re: extending the palette [message #1066713 is a reply to message #1066379] Wed, 03 July 2013 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi
sorry for bothering you Embarrassed , but could you help me.
I'm waiting for your response
thanks alot. Smile
Re: extending the palette [message #1067142 is a reply to message #1066713] Sat, 06 July 2013 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi;
I couldn't find any solution Confused Embarrassed
could you give me the update sites of all dependencies.
thanks
Re: extending the palette [message #1067145 is a reply to message #1067142] Sat, 06 July 2013 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

If you look on the eclipse project home page here: http://eclipse.org/bpmn2-modeler/
you'll see a section called "Download" - click on that. Try the nightly builds because they are most up-to-date with the source code.
Re: extending the palette [message #1067170 is a reply to message #1067145] Sun, 07 July 2013 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Which version of eclipse are you using? Make sure you install the editor for your version because there are two available:

For eclipse indigo (3.7) and juno (4.2), use the http://download.eclipse.org/bpmn2-modeler/updates/nightly/juno/ update site;
for eclipse kepler (4.3), use the http://download.eclipse.org/bpmn2-modeler/updates/nightly/kepler/ site.

Other than that, I don't know what kinds of errors you are seeing because you haven't posted any useful information here.
Re: extending the palette [message #1068200 is a reply to message #1067170] Fri, 12 July 2013 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi;
thanks for your precious advice.
finally it works Smile Smile .
so, how could I extend the bpmn2 element( I need a special type of connection and boundary event).
thanks.
Re: extending the palette [message #1069329 is a reply to message #1068200] Mon, 15 July 2013 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi,
the tutorial was exellent and
understandable, but as you know I'm creating a "boundary event" not a "Task".
so, I tried to change "graphiti feature container" to class that extend org.eclipse.bpmn2.modeler.ui.features.event.BoundaryEventFeatureContainer
but unfortunatly it doesn't work. Mad
before that, I made my own ecore file for extension with a documentroot which has 2 reference to two object:"my boundaryevent" and "my connection", each one of them has a property name, I had enabled just one object ("my boundaryevent") and I arranged its property but I had the properties of the old example "custom task" instead of them. Shocked
please, could help me to get it as soon as possible Embarrassed Embarrassed
I'm waiting for your reply. Rolling Eyes
thanks Smile
Re: extending the palette [message #1069966 is a reply to message #1069329] Wed, 17 July 2013 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Have you tried replacing all references to Task with BoundaryEvent in your plugin.xml?
Re: extending the palette [message #1070255 is a reply to message #1069966] Wed, 17 July 2013 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Indeed, I tried to replace all references to Task with BoundaryEvent except FeatureContainer because I' not permitted to change it which is the main problem until this stage
thanks
Re: extending the palette [message #1070385 is a reply to message #1070255] Wed, 17 July 2013 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hmm, ok I'll take a look at this. I'll let you know what I find by end of this week.
Re: extending the palette [message #1072831 is a reply to message #1070385] Tue, 23 July 2013 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi,
I didn't want to disturb you but I just want to note that I couldn't have child to org.eclipse.bpmn2.modeler.runtime type base element bpmn2 other than custom task.
so I wonder how could I have a child which its type is boundary event or connection.
please, sent me a response as soon as possible because we are chased by time.
thank you very much
Re: extending the palette [message #1072877 is a reply to message #1072831] Tue, 23 July 2013 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Mhammad,

I've updated the custom tasks example to illustrate how to extend a Boundary Event. This also pointed out a minor bug, which has been fixed along the way Wink

These changes will be available in tonight's build, or you can pull down the latest source code from the eclipse git repo.

Have fun!
Bob
Re: extending the palette [message #1073339 is a reply to message #1066008] Wed, 24 July 2013 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi,
could you give me the link of the updated code.
I've tried to download it from eclipse repo as you said and I've got an error.
thank you very very much Smile Smile
Re: extending the palette [message #1073701 is a reply to message #1073339] Thu, 25 July 2013 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The example plugin is here:
https://git.eclipse.org/c/bpmn2-modeler/org.eclipse.bpmn2-modeler.git/tree/examples/org.eclipse.bpmn2.modeler.examples.customtask
Re: extending the palette [message #1074176 is a reply to message #1073701] Fri, 26 July 2013 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi;
the boundary event needs to get an event definition (timer, error, message...), indeed if you restart the execution you 'll have this error "Catch Event has no event definitions" Sad ; so could I create my own event definition and effect it to the new boundary event. Rolling Eyes
secondly, I wonder if it is possible to create a special type of connection. Confused
thank you very much. Smile Smile
Re: extending the palette [message #1074427 is a reply to message #1074176] Fri, 26 July 2013 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I have extended the customtask example to include event definitions. Check the git commit record to see what was changed.
The other example plugin (org.eclipse.bpmn2.modeler.runtime.example) extends the Association (a connection) element - this should get you started.
Re: extending the palette [message #1074507 is a reply to message #1074427] Sat, 27 July 2013 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thank you very much.
you are so generous Smile
Re: extending the palette [message #1075019 is a reply to message #1074507] Sun, 28 July 2013 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

You're welcome. We are still working on finalizing the extension API, so your feedback and use-cases are always welcome and will help us improve the API Smile
Re: extending the palette [message #1082601 is a reply to message #1075019] Thu, 08 August 2013 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi;
in case I secceded to implement my extention I wonder if it is possible to execute the workflow on JBoss whitout problem.

the example of extension of the association doesn't work perfectly

thanks.
Re: extending the palette [message #1082626 is a reply to message #1082601] Thu, 08 August 2013 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

It all depends on if jBPM "understands" your extensions. If it does not, then there will likely be problems.
Re: extending the palette [message #1084457 is a reply to message #1082626] Sun, 11 August 2013 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi;
I want to have a boundary event like the others, ie I want a shape that contain an event like the default boundary in bpmn2 palette.

could you see the example of extension of association because I think it doesn't work.

my third request is about jBPM:
I think that jBPM doesn't "understands" the event which I'm adding them because it works on different logic, so I have to adapt jBPM on my extension, am I right? Rolling Eyes
Re: extending the palette [message #1089916 is a reply to message #1084457] Mon, 19 August 2013 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi;
I want to have a boundary event like the others, ie I want a shape that contain an event like the default boundary in bpmn2 palette, moreover, I get these 2 errors

( The hierarchy of the type MyBoundaryEventDetailComposite is inconsistent)
and
(The hierarchy of the type MyBoundaryEventPropertySection is inconsistent)
so, I read about this error and it seems that it is a problem of a missing jar and I think it's not, or, it is due to a deficiency in our extends/implements tree which I found it odd, because I copied it from your customtask example.

could you see the example of extension of association because I think it doesn't work.

my third request is about jBPM:
I think that jBPM doesn't "understands" the event which I'm adding them because it works on different logic, so I have to adapt jBPM on my extension, am I right?
beside, how jBPM does behave when it get <extension> tag.

thanks
Re: extending the palette [message #1090797 is a reply to message #1089916] Tue, 20 August 2013 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hmm, it's possible that you are missing a plugin in your development workbench, but I doubt it. Make sure that you import all of the BPMN2 Modeler and BPMN2 metamodel plugins into your workspace before trying to compile the CustomTask example - that's probably where your missing dependencies are Wink

As far as jBPM runtime is concerned, the answer is "yes", you will have to modify the jBPM engine for your extensions, but be warned: this is not a trivial task and probably not something you can accomplish on a rainy weekend.

HTH,
Bob
Re: extending the palette [message #1091421 is a reply to message #1090797] Wed, 21 August 2013 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi Robert;
I solved the problem of the missing dependencies by working on the"customtask" project but, the problem facing me now is how to create a sequence flow?
I saw the example of extention named "Sample Business Process Engine" in the bundle org.eclipse.bpmn2.modeler.runtime.example and I think it doesn't work very well, so could you verify it. Rolling Eyes
my second question is about the XML file resulting my plugin extention, I wonder what is the class charged to tagged my event in the XML, I'm asking because my events are tagged differently than I named. Confused
I hope I'm not disturbing you Embarrassed
thanks alot. Smile
Re: extending the palette [message #1094821 is a reply to message #1091421] Mon, 26 August 2013 08:32 Go to previous message
hi;
sorry for the stupid comment because when you told me that there is an example of an extension of an association I thought that I will have an icon in a sub palette like other custom tasks, so it was a misunderstanding. Embarrassed
on the occasion of that, is there any way to have my spcilazed sequence flow in a sub palette.

how could I make a property of my custom task visible on the diagram(like a task name) and it's better be beside the shape.

could you please reply me soon because it's so important Confused
thanks
Previous Topic:"Failed to create the part's controls" error when opening bpmn file
Next Topic:Subprocess reuse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:19:48 GMT 2024