Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Cannot merge now
Cannot merge now [message #1065878] Fri, 28 June 2013 06:57 Go to next message
Anton Hughes is currently offline Anton HughesFriend
Hi

I get an error when trying to merge. The error is "Cannot merge now".

When can egit merge?

Also, when I bring up the context menu - Team > Merge - merge is greyed out.

What is the problem here?

Re: Cannot merge now [message #1065967 is a reply to message #1065878] Fri, 28 June 2013 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Halstrick is currently offline Christian HalstrickFriend
we are only allowing merges when repository state is "safe". Basically this means: no other merge should be ongoing currently. You can check this best by looking at the decoration of your project e.g. in PackageExplorer View. If youre project is called foo and you see a decoration "foo [foo master]" everything is ok. But if you see "foo [foo|Conflicts master]" then you know you still have unresolved conflicts from a previous merge and should not try the next merge until you have reached a clean state. Bring your project into a clean state before starting the merge

Ciao
Chris
Re: Cannot merge now [message #1066007 is a reply to message #1065967] Fri, 28 June 2013 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anton Hughes is currently offline Anton HughesFriend
Ok, and when the project does not say Conflict then I should be able to do a merge?

Because, again, I have just done fetch from upstream. Eclipse does not show anything about any conflicts, and I am unable to do a merge.
Re: Cannot merge now [message #1066391 is a reply to message #1066007] Tue, 02 July 2013 12:13 Go to previous message
Christian Halstrick is currently offline Christian HalstrickFriend
I still think that your project is not in a clean state. We grey out the merge button for git projects only in such cases. Can you attach a screenshot which shows your project in project explorer when you try the merge? Something similar to http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2hz278z&s=5

Ciao
Chris
Previous Topic:Jgit commit peformance
Next Topic:JGit: Push to specific branch
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:17:31 GMT 2024