Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Getting compilation errors for a project over JDT markers produces wrong result initially
icon5.gif  Getting compilation errors for a project over JDT markers produces wrong result initially [message #1064856] Fri, 21 June 2013 12:19 Go to next message
Kivanc Muslu is currently offline Kivanc MusluFriend
Hi all,

I am trying to approximate the compilation errors in a project by retrieving the JDT markers on that project and filtering according to severity == IMarker.SEVERITY_ERROR. In Eclipse, I have auto-building activated and this logic works perfect except the first invocation after Eclipse is loaded.

Here is the related code:
// Join auto-builder
Job.getJobManager().join(ResourcesPlugin.FAMILY_AUTO_BUILD, null);

IProject project = // related project.
IMarker[] markers = project.findMarkers(IJavaModelMarker.JAVA_MODEL_PROBLEM_MARKER, true, IResource.DEPTH_INFINITE);
ArrayList<IMarker> result = new ArrayList<>();
for (Marker marker: markers)
{
    int severity = marker.getAttribute(IMarker.SEVERITY, Integer.MAX_VALUE);
    if (severity == IMarker.SEVERITY_ERROR)
        result.add(marker);
}
// Result should contain the compilation errors in 'project'.

This code gets executed in my plug-in, and for some reason, for a project with no compilation errors, it generates one compilation error, only in the first run after Eclipse is loaded. Details for that compilation error:
[org.eclipse.core.resources.IMarker: type = org.eclipse.jdt.core.problem, attributes = {id: 33554515, message: entry cannot be resolved to a variable, arguments: 1:entry, categoryId: 50, charStart: 2447, lineNumber: 57, severity: 2, charEnd: 2452, sourceId: JDT}]

Related code piece:
// main is valid java code.
        BibEntry entry2 = main.getEntry("MusluSW2011esecfse");
        Assert.assertNotNull(entry2);

Here the compilation error refers to 'entry2' (when you map the line and char start and end attributes) as 'entry' for some reason.

I have also tried turning off auto-build and calling project.build(..) manually, however it creates the same result.

My specific questions:
1. When I join to autobuilder, does it block my code until all problem markers are generated (updated, removed, etc.) or just until the build phase ended? If the latter, is there a way to block my code until all markers are generated?
2. Is there a more reliable way to retrieve the compilation errors for a given project in Eclipse API?

My open-ended question:
3. Do you have any suggestions for debugging the problem and about what might cause the problem?

Thanks, best regards,
Re: Getting compilation errors for a project over JDT markers produces wrong result initially [message #1064979 is a reply to message #1064856] Sat, 22 June 2013 12:34 Go to previous message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Given you see a bogus error marker, the most general approach to understand this would probably be just setting a breakpoint inside org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.problem.ProblemHandler.handle(int, String[], int, String[], int, int, int, ReferenceContext, CompilationResult) just after the "case ProblemSeverities.Error :" line.

Another idea might be to change from joining the JobManager (which I have no experience with) to registering a CompilationParticipant and wait for being called via buildFinished(IJavaProject).
Previous Topic:Unable to install TPTP Tracing and Profiling Tools Project
Next Topic:Programmatically close a Java file?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:19:30 GMT 2024