Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » How to generate a sequence diagram from an interaction?
How to generate a sequence diagram from an interaction? [message #1064547] Wed, 19 June 2013 20:20 Go to next message
Joe I is currently offline Joe IFriend
Hello,

I want to generate interactions programmatically and visualize them by sequence diagrams in Papyrus.

I tried the "diagram generation"-plugin, but it seems to not work for sequence diagrams. Even when I make a simple working interaction with a sequence diagram within papyrus, I always get the following error message after using a "diagram generation"-template on this model for a new sequence diagram:
"The requested action violates the integrity of the model."
"Reason: There is no valid trace sequencing the InteractionFragments in the fragment property. Some of them can not be organized as valid sequence:..."

When I fill an empty sequence diagram with existing messages by drag and drop, I get the same error message after changing the length of a lifeline vertically...

So is there any way to generate a sequence diagram from an interaction or is it impossible?

Thanks!
Re: How to generate a sequence diagram from an interaction? [message #1064592 is a reply to message #1064547] Thu, 20 June 2013 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Federico Toledo is currently offline Federico ToledoFriend
I was trying to do the same (but I didnt try the template). There are many elements in a sequence diagram that you have to add and connect.
I suggest you to draw with Papyrus a sequence diagram with two timelines and one message, and then delete the .di file, and examine the interaction in the .uml file, and finally, try to create again a sequence diagram starting from this uml file, because it should work with that considering that Papyrus itself created all the elements that consider necessary.
I did that and I realized that there were some elements that I didnt consider...I am not sure if this is your problem, but just in case I wanted to share this with you
bye!
Re: How to generate a sequence diagram from an interaction? [message #1064690 is a reply to message #1064592] Thu, 20 June 2013 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe I is currently offline Joe IFriend
Hm...

First I created an interaction with the help of a sequence diagram in papyrus. Then I deleted .di and .notation to create a fresh model from the .uml file without any sequence diagram.

In Juno it indeed seems to work to create similar (not perfect) sequence diagrams by drag and droping existing elements (first lifelines, then exec specs and last messages) -> of course diagram templates don't work Sad

In Kepler it gets completely messed up... I filed two new bugs concerning diagramgeneration and dnd sequence diagrams, maybe someone will solve it Smile
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=411258
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=411262

So I suppose for generating usable sequence diagrams I have to generate the .notation file by myself programmatically...
Has anyone done this and could give me some hints?

Are there any Papyrus apis which make it easier to generate sequence diagrams automatically (and different to the one diagramgeneration uses)?
Or: Which code parts of Papyrus relate to the notation file?

Thanks!
Re: How to generate a sequence diagram from an interaction? [message #1064693 is a reply to message #1064690] Thu, 20 June 2013 14:52 Go to previous message
Federico Toledo is currently offline Federico ToledoFriend
that could be useful for me too
Previous Topic:how to create class diagram based on .uml file
Next Topic:How to change the color of elements programmatically
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:37:49 GMT 2024