Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Problem with date parameters changing to string
Problem with date parameters changing to string [message #1064373] Wed, 19 June 2013 00:18 Go to next message
Dave Oatway is currently offline Dave OatwayFriend
I have a series of reports that use a StartDate and EndDate.

I set up the first date set in a report, export it to the library, then inherit it into additional reports from the library.

The parameters are set up a data type date, text box, format as short date, required.

The StartDate default is: BirtDateTime.addDay(BirtDateTime.now(), -90) and the
EndDate is set up as BirtDateTime.now().

When previewing in the designer I frequently get a display of date-time - when I check the parameter in the report the type has changed to String.

This has happened many times. I never save these date parameters as anything except datatype date.

Once deployed, they do not change the data type.

This is time consuming to continually correct, and the possibility of deploying a badly formatted report is real.

What should I be doing differently? I am using 3.7.2

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Dave

[Updated on: Wed, 19 June 2013 00:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problem with date parameters changing to string [message #1064395 is a reply to message #1064373] Wed, 19 June 2013 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

When does this change take place? Any way you can attach a sample report that I can run that I'll see this issue? I can't recall ever seeing anything like what you're describing. Also, have you tried a newer version to see if you see the same issue?

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Re: Problem with date parameters changing to string [message #1064512 is a reply to message #1064395] Wed, 19 June 2013 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for responding. I will truncate a database and report and upload them. I've also had other parameters change from radio button to text box.

It happens when I am fine tuning a report and test it. It's very strange.

Thanks for your support!
Re: Problem with date parameters changing to string [message #1064538 is a reply to message #1064512] Wed, 19 June 2013 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Now that sounds very buggy. You might include some steps that you do where this problem pops up so I have some direction to be able to see it. Smile

Michael

Re: Problem with date parameters changing to string [message #1064738 is a reply to message #1064538] Thu, 20 June 2013 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll work on identifying a work flow that produces the result. I hate it when issues appear to be intermittent; they never really are but finding the source can be a bear!
Re: Problem with date parameters changing to string [message #1065661 is a reply to message #1064738] Thu, 27 June 2013 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Find any more out on this?

Michael

Re: Problem with date parameters changing to string [message #1065802 is a reply to message #1064373] Thu, 27 June 2013 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paolo Aprile is currently offline Paolo AprileFriend
Don't know if this can help, but i noticed something similar: every time i delete the question marks that identify the parameter in the query, not only the configuration of those parameters disappears, but the configuration of the corresponding report parameter is re-set to default values.
Re: Problem with date parameters changing to string [message #1065807 is a reply to message #1065802] Thu, 27 June 2013 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

What version are you using Paolo?

Michael

Re: Problem with date parameters changing to string [message #1065841 is a reply to message #1065807] Thu, 27 June 2013 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Micheal!

I'm using the version (4.2.2), in the all-inclusive reporting Juno installation 32bit.
Oh, and what i described happens both in windows (winxp sp3) and linux (ubuntu 12.04) enviroment.
Than again, i'm not really sure if what i'm reporting is on-topic or not, sorry.
Re: Problem with date parameters changing to string [message #1065952 is a reply to message #1065841] Fri, 28 June 2013 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Paolo,

Thank you for the insight! The sequence you describe is consistent with the conditions the issue occurs for me. I have been change data sources from views to stored procedures, so I have to re-set the parameters. Now that I am looking for it, that appears to be the issue.

Michael, thank you for your input. I was having trouble getting replication since I didn't think of the data source change to be the problem. I think this resolves my issue as a work around since I now know the conditions. Resetting the parameter is a small price until the code can be corrected. Thank you for your help. Is there anything else you need from me to address the issue? I am using 3.7.2 on windows 7 64, with MS SQL 2008.

Paolo, I certainly think this is on-topic.

Thank you for your help!

Dave
Re: Problem with date parameters changing to string [message #1065964 is a reply to message #1065952] Fri, 28 June 2013 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glad to be of assistance! Smile
Re: Problem with date parameters changing to string [message #1066889 is a reply to message #1065964] Fri, 05 July 2013 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks Paolo. I'll take a look at this in the morning so I can see it for myself.

Michael

Re: Problem with date parameters changing to string [message #1067035 is a reply to message #1066889] Fri, 05 July 2013 14:29 Go to previous message

I've not seen this still, but you should probably log a bug for it. Be sure to give step by step instructions on how to reproduce the issue.

Michael

Previous Topic:[SOLVED] File XES as a datasource
Next Topic:Charts appearing randomly
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 02:10:20 GMT 2024