Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » General (non-technical) » Project Proposals » New Proposals: Eclipse SCADA
New Proposals: Eclipse SCADA [message #1064327] Tue, 18 June 2013 18:12 Go to next message
Wayne Beaton is currently offline Wayne BeatonFriend
SCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition) is a type of industrial control system (ICS). Industrial control systems are computer controlled systems that monitor and control industrial processes that exist in the physical world. SCADA systems historically distinguish themselves from other ICS systems by being large scale processes that can include multiple sites, and large distances.

Simply speaking the primary target of Eclipse SCADA is a way to connect different industrial devices to a common communication system and post-process as well as visualize the data to operating personnel.

http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/technology.eclipsescada/
Re: New Proposals: Eclipse SCADA [message #1064330 is a reply to message #1064327] Tue, 18 June 2013 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Werner Keil is currently offline Werner KeilFriend
Hi,

Given the SensorWeb and Java Embedded relevance of OpenSCADA judging from
publications about it, could you please
list me on behalf of the UOMo project as Interested party similar to e.g.
the Ponte proposal:

- Werner Keil, Eclipse UOMo Project lead

The distributed nature of OpenSCADA and at least some or all components
implemented in Java mean, both the UOMo strong Units of Measurement binding
and UCUM support for text-based formats (like XML, JSON, CSV,...) look like
there could be synergies with SCADA.

Thanks,
Werner
Re: New Proposals: Eclipse SCADA [message #1064331 is a reply to message #1064330] Tue, 18 June 2013 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a quick observation regarding UCUM on this Wiki page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCADA
It shows an example SCADA flow and visualization of 3 measurements, Level
(height), Temperature and Pressure.

While "Bar" is a proper UCUM/ISO way of displaying it, so is of course "m"
for meter, "degC" is a pseudo-unit code based on the UCUM code for
Fahrenheit ("degF") while the correct UCUM code in that case would be "cel"
;-)

Sure some cases where SCADA may benefit from consistent Unit standards and
code systems like UCUM and their language support via UOMo.

Werner
Re: New Proposals: Eclipse SCADA [message #1066470 is a reply to message #1064327] Tue, 02 July 2013 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benjamin Cabé is currently offline Benjamin CabéFriend

It looks like there are several components under Eclipse SCADA that all have their own "fancy" name.
Looking at their list, I have the following remarks:

• Should these names really all be kept? especially since I think they will all need to go through a trademark review, even though some of them might refer to technical components that will likely evolve over time, be merged with each other, etc.
  • Maybe a pure UI/SWT component like Infinity should be contributed to Eclipse Nebula, for easier consumption by 3rd parties?
  • I guess that rather than a list of the technical components that are part of the initial contribution, some higher level architecture diagram would certainly help understand better the functional blocks of Eclipse SCADA: Server, Configuration, UI, Drivers implementations, ...

I am not implying these points should be solved for a successful project creation, and this can certainly worked over time as the project grows, ... this was just my 2 cents Smile

Re: New Proposals: Eclipse SCADA [message #1066486 is a reply to message #1064331] Tue, 02 July 2013 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jürgen Rose is currently offline Jürgen RoseFriend
@Werner Keil: So far we dind't consider units, except just as descriptions, but yes it could be beneficial to use a standardized unit representation, so any scaling or conversion could be checked and evaluated creating error flags, or maybe just mapping the correct name to it.
Re: New Proposals: Eclipse SCADA [message #1066500 is a reply to message #1066470] Tue, 02 July 2013 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
It looks like there are several components under Eclipse scada that all have their own "fancy" name.
Looking at their list, I have the following remarks:

Should these names really all be kept? especially since I think they will all need to go through a trademark review, even though some of them might refer to technical components that will likely evolve over time, be merged with each other, etc.

Maybe a pure UI/SWT component like Infinity should be contributed to Eclipse Nebula, for easier consumption by 3rd parties?

I guess that rather than a list of the technical components that are part of the initial contribution, some higher level architecture diagram would certainly help understand better the functional blocks of Eclipse scada: Server, Configuration, UI, Drivers implementations, ...

As we mentioned in the telephone conference we probably will rename the repositories to something more meaningful. Since we are forced to separate the LGPL dependencies from the other implementations, we are going to extract the drivers from the openscada core. One idea would be to have a common repository with protocol libraries, and a separate module with driver implementations which are based on it. The protocol part could be independent from other Eclipse SCADA components, so it would be reusable within other projects without pulling in a lot of dependencies (possibly limited to mina, slf4j and some utility stuff).

Regarding the extraction of Infinity (the chart widget) in a separate project or integrating it with nebula, we already discussed this internally. Only for the moment we really would like to keep it together with Eclipse SCADA, since there is still a lot of functionality we would like to add, and we would like to have some flexibility in changing it. When the features set has reached a point where the api will stay, we are more than willing to extract it, to nebula for instance.

The slide deck (link in the wiki page mentioned above) we showed was a condensed version (concentrating on the data access part) of a larger presentation. I want to make some improvements to the large version and post it on slideshare, this should address some the issues (architectural diagram).
Re: New Proposals: Eclipse SCADA [message #1066699 is a reply to message #1066486] Wed, 03 July 2013 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jürgen,

Thanks for the reply and intrest.
Especially the UCUM side and unit support in text messages (or anything like
it, JSON, XML or even CSV) normally isn't more than a description. What
standardized unit catalogues like UCUM allow is to validate them against a
commonly defined and accepted code catalog without the risk of overlap or
misconception between different units.

Even calculations and a certain level of conversion is possible, e.g. things
like "mg/s" or "km/h"

Please check "eclipse.uomo" news as well as mailing lists like
science-iwg@xxxxxxxx or uomo-users@xxxxxxxx.
And the two Google Groups for Unit-API units-dev@xxxxxxxx and
units-users@xxxxxxxx.

Cheers,
Werner

"Jürgen Rose" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:kqvfmd$v9o$1@xxxxxxxxe.org...

@Werner Keil: So far we dind't consider units, except just as descriptions,
but yes it could be beneficial to use a standardized unit representation, so
any scaling or conversion could be checked and evaluated creating error
flags, or maybe just mapping the correct name to it.
Re: New Proposals: Eclipse SCADA [message #1455091 is a reply to message #1064327] Wed, 29 October 2014 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tam nk is currently offline Tam nkFriend
Sorry, I am new member in Eclipse Scada. I want to make my scada system with the cheapest cost, so i start studying Eclipsen on the Ubuntu. But, I can't set up Eclipse Software although i readed and followed guideness on this web. Please help me. If anyone installed successfull can give video or using teamview. Thanks
Re: New Proposals: Eclipse SCADA [message #1456174 is a reply to message #1455091] Thu, 30 October 2014 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello every body, after one day hard working. I setup Eclipse Scada on the Windowns successful. But when i install on the Ubuntu, i can't see Eclipse Scada Function like in Windows (I really don't want to use Microsoft Windowns and giving up it) . When I use Siemens Scada Software, i can get many support Video. I think Eclipse same that. But I am new one, anyone can show me how to do?Thanks so much
Re: New Proposals: Eclipse SCADA [message #1456301 is a reply to message #1456174] Thu, 30 October 2014 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

thanks for your message. Unfortunately this is the forum for new Eclipse projects, and this topic is the topic for the project proposal of Eclipse SCADA. It is not a support forum/thread.

The detailed and up to date information how to communicate with the project can be found in the project information page [1]. The e-mail to the mailling list is [2]. Or you can check the dedicated forum [3].

In order to help you, it is important for us to understand what you did and what went wrong. What you expected to happen or what you are missing in detail.

Thanks

Jens

[1] https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.eclipsescada
[2] scada-dev@eclipse.org
[3] https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/f/266/
Re: New Proposals: Eclipse SCADA [message #1456699 is a reply to message #1456301] Thu, 30 October 2014 16:34 Go to previous message
Thanks Rose. I will study.
Previous Topic:New Project Proposal: RISE V2G
Next Topic:Governance structure and source code management practice
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 21:28:20 GMT 2024