Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » how to create class diagram based on .uml file
how to create class diagram based on .uml file [message #1062206] Thu, 06 June 2013 14:00 Go to next message
Junfeng Zhao is currently offline Junfeng ZhaoFriend
hi,
I discover .uml file from java project by modisco, then visualize it by papyrus. Now I have a confusion that I can not view the entire class diagram corresponding to the .uml file and I can view class elements only by drag and drop. I want to know whether there is some method to visulize the entire class diagram. Even we must use papyrus to view the class diagram, I think the relationships between the classes existing in class diagrams should be viewed automatically when I drag and drop a class. Do you think my viewpoint is reasonable? thank you.
regards
Re: how to create class diagram based on .uml file [message #1063999 is a reply to message #1062206] Mon, 17 June 2013 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Federico Toledo is currently offline Federico ToledoFriend
perhaps this discussion could be useful for you
http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=308906&
Re: how to create class diagram based on .uml file [message #1064000 is a reply to message #1063999] Mon, 17 June 2013 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and ... I agree with your point of view
Re: how to create class diagram based on .uml file [message #1064037 is a reply to message #1064000] Mon, 17 June 2013 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camille Letavernier is currently offline Camille LetavernierFriend
Hi,

To display all the relationships:

- Select all your elements
- Right click > Navigate > Restore related elements

(This seems to take a lot of time when there are many elements... a performance-related bug has been filled: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=410909 )

Regards,
Camille

Camille Letavernier
Re: how to create class diagram based on .uml file [message #1064191 is a reply to message #1062206] Tue, 18 June 2013 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
poul poulsen is currently offline poul poulsenFriend
hello,
i have the same problem as you.
created an .uml file from a java project with modisco.
how could i view this inside papyrus?

i read the thread about papyrus, but it isn`t work for me.
here is a screenshot.
perhaps you have a solution.

thanks
poul
Re: how to create class diagram based on .uml file [message #1064257 is a reply to message #1064191] Tue, 18 June 2013 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
sorry, but I do not have more information/knowledge about that.
In addition, your screenshot does not give any clue about the problem you have.
Re: how to create class diagram based on .uml file [message #1064273 is a reply to message #1064257] Tue, 18 June 2013 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hello,

ok i will explain it a bit more detailed.
i want to create a uml diagramm from a java class.
the process from using modisco seems to be functional, because a .uml file is created (see screenshot).
now my problem:
how could i view the class diagramm in papyrus?
you asked this question also, so i ask you for a possible solution. i think, that your question could be solved, or not?

best wishes
poul
Re: how to create class diagram based on .uml file [message #1064277 is a reply to message #1064273] Tue, 18 June 2013 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I solved that as the linked discussion explains, it works for me (last version of Papyrus, and Juno)
Re: how to create class diagram based on .uml file [message #1064339 is a reply to message #1064277] Tue, 18 June 2013 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hello,
in your linked discussion you wrote the following:
"After that, the new .di is open, and you can go to Model Explorer view, and there you have all the elements of the UML model. As I told you I want to work with class diagrams, so I created one, and then DnD classes to it.
I am still testing it ... but it seems that it works."

for me this is not working to the end.
i can see my .di file, thats ok.
but why should i create classes with DnD?
i want to see my java claases from the existing java project.
how could i do that?
if i right click on a class, papyrus answers not possible and if i right click on the element below root model then create a new class diagram, it is always empty.
very strange Sad

any idea?

poul
Re: how to create class diagram based on .uml file [message #1064418 is a reply to message #1064339] Wed, 19 June 2013 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camille Letavernier is currently offline Camille LetavernierFriend
Hi,

A diagram is a specific View on a model. As such, it does not need to display everything: it displays only what you want to show/see. This means that the default choice in Papyrus was to make all the diagrams empty by default. You need to select the elements you want to actually display. To do that, you need to select the elements from the Model Explorer, and drop them to the diagram (Which will display them in that diagram).

For more comprehensive diagrams, there is an additional/experimental tool in Papyrus (Help > Install Papyrus Additional Components > Diagram Generation). You can create a Diagram Template to specifiy what needs to be displayed in a Diagram (e.g. For each Package, create a Class diagram, display all Classes and Interfaces / For each Class and Interface, display all operations and attributes).

Creating the template takes some time, but once it is done, you can automatically generate and populate all your diagrams from your semantic model.

Regards,
Camille

Camille Letavernier
Re: how to create class diagram based on .uml file [message #1064542 is a reply to message #1064418] Wed, 19 June 2013 19:29 Go to previous message
hello,
thanks for the explanation.
i managed it to display the classes, but they look a bit ugly.
the arrange function places some classes in that way, that text / description is overlapped and not readable anymore. this depends how i DnD the piece from the model explorer. not a really good way, i think Sad

is there any way to finetune the arrange possibilities inside the view? e.g. like mindmap software.

in my opinion it is not a userfriendly way to DnD every class into the view. better alternative will be an automatic generation.
are there any plans to contribute this feature?

second question:
is there any documentation for creating a template? i do not understand it, but want to see, if i could manage it with further explanations.

best wishes
poul
Previous Topic:Documentation generation
Next Topic:How to generate a sequence diagram from an interaction?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:20:51 GMT 2024