Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Hudson » Hudson Future? Release 3.1 status?
Hudson Future? Release 3.1 status? [message #1061105] Thu, 30 May 2013 01:56 Go to next message
Markus Buchner is currently offline Markus BuchnerFriend
Whats the status of the 3.1 release - i found the release plan but i cant see a lot activity in the git repository - it should be released on the 2013/06/03 - is this information still valid?

- Where can I get more information about the activity arround the 3.1 release?
- Why is the release coupled to the eclipse kepler release? Is there some integration planed?

Hope that someone can give me an answer to my questions - greetings Max

Release Plan:
http://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.hudson/releases/3.1.0
Re: Hudson Future? Release 3.1 status? [message #1061225 is a reply to message #1061105] Thu, 30 May 2013 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Foster is currently offline Bob FosterFriend
That date is optimistic. Duncan would know if a more likely target has been established.

3.1 was coupled to Kepler for planning purposes, not because of some planned integration.

If you look at the Plan tab, there are four features planned for the release. Work on the first two - Team and memory use - is ongoing in local clones of Hudson that have not been pushed back yet. That's why you don't see the repo activity. I don't believe the last two have been started, but Winston would know better about that. There will also be another round of bug fixes before the release.

There definitely should be some update of the wiki giving details of each of these items, and, of course, it would be best if the code were in the repo.
Re: Hudson Future? Release 3.1 status? [message #1061226 is a reply to message #1061225] Thu, 30 May 2013 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Foster is currently offline Bob FosterFriend
I didn't read the plan page carefully enough. The dates have been updated. The new release date is 7/29 with an RC1 on 7/01. I don't know what features will make the code complete date.
Re: Hudson Future? Release 3.1 status? [message #1061272 is a reply to message #1061225] Thu, 30 May 2013 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the quick feedback - actually I asked because we plan to switch back to hudson as its now also realy "open source" and in good hands (eclipse foundation) and we had lots of troubles with jenkins stability/buginess.

My company wants to increase the security by not letting everybody see/act on everything (jobs / svn /...)

We came quite far by using the following: (but still have some issues ...)

- Active directory groups for every project - people gets added to this group if they work on a project
- Using the "Role Strategy Plugin"
- by configuring project roles and then assigning AD roles to the configured project roles
- we use for example this pattern for project roles "<business-unit-name>-<project-name>-.*"
- Now everybody can create jobs but has to name them "<his-business-unit>-<his-project>-" otherwise he cant see them later on
- In the job the developer is free to configure everything
- We use SVN as source code repo - everybody has its credentials there too only on specific projects
- If a developer creates a job he has to insert his credential in the subversion dialog
- here a question: What does the radio button global (yes/no) mean
- the svn credentials should only be stored on a job basis and the developer should not have a chance to set/overwrite hudson global settings
- if this is the meaning of global - how can we disable this selector?
- We have another issue because we use the AD credentials for SVN and the password policy is that the user gets disabled afer 5 retries and the password expires every 90 days
- if a user has now 7 jobs which run every night and he changed his AD password - he has to browse all the jobs in hudson to update the credentials on every job
- if he forgets to do so he will get locked in AD
- is there any solution to this?
- should we create a project user in AD just for SVN read access and use this one in hudson for fetching files from SVN (tag plugin wouldn't work then?!)

If you have better solutions please let me know!

Another question is:
- Is there another gouping functionality out there except the tabs?
- Because we could now create a Tab for every business unit
- but every project has multiple jobs (lets say for every svn branch one)
- I saw some screen shots with folders / folder structures in the job list
- Is there something out there? Would be a nice feature for standard hudson I think

Anyway thanks in advance - keep on doing this fantastic work

Greetings Max

Re: Hudson Future? Release 3.1 status? [message #1061285 is a reply to message #1061272] Fri, 31 May 2013 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Winston Prakash is currently offline Winston PrakashFriend
Hi Markus, most of the 3.1 development is on a branch. The main development is for the new feature Team Concept. The details are here

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Hudson-ci/features/Team_Concept
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Hudson-ci/features/Team_Concept_User_View

Would you interested in testing the feature and give us feedback (It is still in a rough condition though)

http://ci.hudson-ci.org/view/Core/job/hudson-core-teamImpl/

Winston Prakash
Eclipse Hudson team
Re: Hudson Future? Release 3.1 status? [message #1061286 is a reply to message #1061285] Fri, 31 May 2013 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forgot to mention we are also working on improving the memory footprint and finding the memory leaks and fixing them for 3.1 release. Due to the very complex nature of Hudson, this takes time Smile

Regarding your question on SVN credentials, there are three level

- OS level (saved in the home directory Ex. ~/.subversion when you run svn from command line)
- Global. This is global to Hudson. Any job with SVN can be authenticated against this store
- Job private. Only that job can be authenticated against this store

So, the order in which the authentication is tried is

- Job private
- Hudson Global
- OS wide

I believe, if Job private fails, then SVN plugin silently falls through to Hudson Global and then OS wide. Some time, this may not be desirable.

Winston Prakash
Eclipse Hudson team
Re: Hudson Future? Release 3.1 status? [message #1061288 is a reply to message #1061272] Fri, 31 May 2013 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
> - We have another issue because we use the AD credentials for SVN and the
> password policy is that the user gets disabled afer 5 retries and the
> password expires every 90 days
> - if a user has now 7 jobs which run every night and he changed his AD
> password - he has to browse all the jobs in hudson to update the
> credentials on every job
> - if he forgets to do so he will get locked in AD
> - is there any solution to this?

Hmm.. this seems to be a tricky situation. You could have a very hacky way. Have one Flag-job that does only SVN update and mark some kind of promotion (using promoted-builds plugins). All other jobs would build only if the Flag-job will in a successful promotion condition. Any time, the Flag-job is in a failed state, the SVN credentails needs to be changed. Hopefully this won't locked the user out of AD.

Winston Prakash
Eclipse Hudson team
Re: Hudson Future? Release 3.1 status? [message #1061403 is a reply to message #1061285] Fri, 31 May 2013 13:26 Go to previous message
Many thanks for your feedback - just wanted to know if i am the only one who has issues regarding securing hudson in a company

I dont think that the "Flag-job" stuff will work out - dev teams will kill me Wink

I like the "Team_Concept" very much just some thoughts:
- will it be possible to add AD groups as team members?
- our sys admins want to add users to a AD group (one group per project[team]) and this change should automatically add access to svn / hudson jobs / sharepoint project pages / redmine / ...
- can I configure a regexp pattern to match jobs which should be in a team's scope?
- at least as a filter search on top?
- as we have very much jobs this dialog (Manage Team Jobs) can be quite long

Another thing regarding credentials:
- if i use AD credentials for hudson and SVN - then the stored credentials of SVN (as far as i know there is one file per job directory) could be updated for every job where my username is mentioned/configured when I login to hudson with a new password
- at least in our setting this would be pretty cool
- It would also help if i have multiple jobs with my SVN username/password setting and i change the password in one job - the other jobs where i provided the svn credentials get updated as well
- There could be something in the SVN dialog like "Change Password" and an option with "only this job" or "all my jobs"

In our case it would also be an option to confige a SVN user per team ("Team_Concept"). e.g. a "team_svn_user" just with read rights on the required svn paths.
- if a team member then creates a new job he doesnt has to enter his own username/password to access SVN because the team svn user is taken automatically?

Thanks for all support, greetings Max

Previous Topic:Distribute Tools to Build-Clients
Next Topic:Hudson CI Setup Guide - Request for review
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:00:45 GMT 2024