Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Lua Development Tools » userdata types and detail formatter(Viewing userdata types in the expressions window)
userdata types and detail formatter [message #1060747] Tue, 28 May 2013 10:45 Go to next message
Marc Haderach is currently offline Marc HaderachFriend
I am using LDT 0.9 and I have been searching for a way to create bespoke detail formatters for my userdata types.
I use Lua embedded in a C++ program and for performance reasons, my userdata are dictionaries that are passed around as pointers.
The default for LDT is to display a simple string "userdata: xxxx".

I created Lua functions that can convert my userdata into Lua tables, and if I type in the expressions window "my_converter(my_user_data)" I can see my userdata object properly as a table.

Is it possible to create a detail formatter that would by default call the my_converter function?

Thanks a lot.

Re: userdata types and detail formatter [message #1060773 is a reply to message #1060747] Tue, 28 May 2013 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Aubry is currently offline Marc AubryFriend
Hi Marc,

I think this topic explain a mechanism that cover your needs : http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/476088.
If not, please explain why to go further, thanks.
Re: userdata types and detail formatter [message #1060876 is a reply to message #1060747] Tue, 28 May 2013 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Julien Desgats is currently offline Julien DesgatsFriend
To be more precise about the above link, I massively refactored introspection part of the debugger to allow custom inspectors which cover exactly your needs.

Sadly, it is not yet documented: I started a tutorial but it is still WIP Crying or Very Sad

If all your userdatas share the same metatable and you don't want to modify values from debugger implement it would be quite easy.

First you need the new debugger.lua file, and then plug a simple inspector should look like (untested):

-- regular debugger bootstrap
require"debugger"("localhost", 10000)

-- add your inspector
local introspection = require "debugger.introspection"
introspection.inspectors[my_metatable] = function(name, value, parent, fullname)
  -- just inspect your customized table instead of userdata
  return introspection.inspect(name, my_converter(value), parent, fullname)
end

Look debugger source for details, or this plugin for LuaJIT cdata for an actual example.

Again, this is still WIP so please report any problem you may encounter.

About value modification from debugger, this is a problem that has not been fully addressed yet. Currently the debugger will set value with something like value["key"] = loadstring(new_value)(), so unless this is possible with your userdata objects, it will fail.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 May 2013 19:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: userdata types and detail formatter [message #1060977 is a reply to message #1060876] Wed, 29 May 2013 11:54 Go to previous message
Marc Haderach is currently offline Marc HaderachFriend
Hi Marc and Julien

Thanks a lot for your quick replies, they were very useful.
I managed to create my bespoke introspection logic an as currently I don't want to modify them within the debugger, your solution is great.

Thanks again

Marc
Previous Topic:debugger hangs up and windows too
Next Topic:Windows Koneki and Corona first steps setup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:39:24 GMT 2024